Search Modifiers

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
jhsgalaxy

Search Modifiers

Post by jhsgalaxy »

Well great effort with this page and the hints on search modifiers:

However;
For average people like me (who are not whatever kind of git hub freaks), some of the given examples unfortunately are not comprehensible without some examples of what such search terms are meant to produce

Furthermore, what's the difference between grouping search terms and literal search?
I cannot recognize any.

Thank you in advance

PS As for my letters capitalized or not ::: no offense meant; my keyboard is going nuts !!
Last edited by NotNull on Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed capitalization
NotNull

Re: Search Modifiers

Post by NotNull »

void
Developer

Post by void »

Furthermore, what's the difference between grouping search terms and literal search?
case:abc 123

Space is treated as the AND operator.
There's two search terms: abc AND 123
The search modifier case is only applied to the first search term: abc

case:<abc 123>

Space is treated as the AND operator.
< and > specify a group of terms.
The case modifier is applied to the search group: abc AND 123
This search is treated the same as: case:abc case:123

case:"abc 123"

The space is treated literally inside double quotes (")
The case modifier is applied to the literal search term: abc 123
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jhsgalaxy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:13 pm... some examples of what such search terms are meant to produce...
Hi jhsgalaxy.
I am in the process of producing a User Tutorial laden with practical examples for Everything 1.5a.
The section "Search Modifers is at 33 pages right now.
Please PM me if you would like a copy.
Cheers, Chris
jhsgalaxy

Post by jhsgalaxy »

Hello Chris,
thanks for the offer, but I do NOT know how to "PM" you ??
1st of all "PM" ???
and 2nd all, after I now know what "PM" means, You are truly funny ... who are you and how am I supposed to know your email addy ??
You do not truly expect me to know every single name of every possible contact I ever had online, do you ?
I am not enough of an online freak to know all that (and all the abbreviations of 2 or 3 languages we have to use here)
I am an over 60 yo retired average man who feels being slightly overburden with all what there is and happens online with all the damn requirements nowadays !!
So, if you are kind enough to send me a copy, would you please send that to
jhsgalaxy @ gmail . com ?
Thank you very much in advance
JHS
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jhsgalaxy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:51 am So, if you are kind enough to send me a copy, would you please send that to
[quoted from my email response] =====>
JHS, please find attached a MSWord2003 document of 33 pages.

This document is a draft document, and represents the accumulation of content over the past four or five months. It is one of over 80 documents on different aspects of Everything.exe.

My aim was to learn everything about Everything, and since the best way to learn is to teach, I decided to write the User Tutorial which I wanted way back when I started.

The document "Search Modifiers.doc", like all the others, will contain errors and omissions, but;-

(1) If you think it is close to what might be useful, please let me know (yes or no)

(2) If you think that the presentation of Examples and Exercises is on the right track, you might let me know that.(yes or no)

I have much work to do to fill out the chapters, but that becomes easier as I go along.

The layout and formatting is not finalized, but the styles and macros are all in place, as is the foundation template ("Tut.dot")

I have provided a Table of Contents and an Index for this document.

Private Messaging.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (42.53 KiB) Viewed 847 times
I have not started the User Tutorial on phpBB software, but the attached image suggests that if you return to my earlier post and click on the little Contact: icon, then you can click your way to sending a PM. I shall send one to you (so that you can practice replying to PMs) as soon as I have posted this response.

Cheers and thanks, Chris