1.5 difficulties

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ghopper

1.5 difficulties

Post by Ghopper »

Hi,

I recently installed 1.5 and am having some trouble.

The first thing that seems strange is that it didn't install to C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a.

Instead, it installed to the folder that I ran the exe file from. I don't remember seeing an option to do that.

Second, I can't find an uninstall link for 1.5 on Revo Uninstaller or Windows 10 uninstaller.

Third, it messed up my 1.4 installation. Specifically, 1) 1.4 no longer has the appearance that it previously did (alternating line colors, etc. - it's now just solid white). 2) 1.4 no longer remembers its previous windows location, and now opens a small window in seemingly random spots. 3) Once, I could not shut 1.4 down even using Task Manager and Process Hacker.

Also, I use a multi-monitor program called BinaryFortress DisplayFusion that creates little icons on every file that can be clicked to move the file to a pre-selected location (e.g. left 1/3 of a screen, etc). But now, when I open a file from 1.4 or 1.5, DisplayFusion is unable to move it to any pre-set location. However, if I right-click on a file in 1.4 or 1.5, then click Open Path, which takes me to the folder where that file is, and then open the file from that folder, DisplayFusion can move it to any pre-set location like it normally does. This might seem like a minor thing, but it's a huge problem for me because it tremendously slows down my workflow.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 1.4 repeatedly, but the problems remain.

Please tell me how to get 1.4 back to working! I flew too close to the sun by messing with 1.5 before my time.

I can't live without 1.4.

Thanks in advance.
void
Developer

Re: 1.5 difficulties

Post by void »

Please try the following:

Make a backup of your %APPDATA%\Everything folder.

Please make sure Everything is installed:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
Restore your backup of %APPDATA%\Everything

Restart Everything.
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Fantastic! That did the trick. Thank you very much. 1.4 is back to working properly.
Is there a similar settings tweak for 1.5 that will let me use it concurrently with 1.4?
Is there a reason 1.5 didn't install to C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a?
void
Developer

Post by void »

It sounds like the installer did not use any of the default settings.

Install settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything was disabled (should have been enabled)
Install to "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a" should be the default.

The Everything setup program will pull previously used setting values from the registry under:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\voidtools\Everything 1.5a\InstallAppData
HKLM\SOFTWARE\voidtools\Everything 1.5a\InstallLocation

Had these previously been set?

Please try installing Everything 1.5 again with the default settings:
Installation folder: C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a
Settings and data location: %APPDATA%\Everything
NTFS Indexing: Install the Everything Service