[Solved]Hotkey for Filter>Document... should be customizable

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Binocular222

[Solved]Hotkey for Filter>Document... should be customizable

Post by Binocular222 »

Hi,
Good to see this software develops again.
Previous version, I can change keyboard shortcut of Document; Audio; Video... Filters. Besides, I can define which extension is Audio; which is Document...
Can you enable these feature again?
Thanks
Last edited by Binocular222 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Hotkey for Filter>Document... should be customizable

Post by void »

Filters are supported in Everything 1.3.0.632b.

To change a hot-key for a filter:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, from the Filters menu, click Organize Filters....
  • Select the filter to change the hot-key.
  • Click Edit.
  • Press a new Keyboard shortcut.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
adamantine

Re: [Solved]Hotkey for Filter>Document... should be customiz

Post by adamantine »

i have 2 questions about hot-keys and filters:

1) it was possible (in version 1.2.1.452) to set a hot-key for the command 'invert selection'. can you enable this feature again ?

2) there is a line 'EVERYTHING' in 'organize filters'. may i ask you to add the possibility to rename or delete it ?
the thing is that i prefer to see the completely empty line when all my filters are not active
and i already have this line (visually): organize filters -> new -> the symbol 'no-break space' (alt+0160)

i renamed 'EVERYTHING' to 'everything' (in the file 'Filters.csv')
thus i get the possibility to delete the line 'everything' (in options). but in this case the line 'EVERYTHING' is restored

so now i have 2 lines (empty and 'everything') with equal function. and i would like not to have the 'everything' line
void
Developer

Post by void »

1) it was possible (in version 1.2.1.452) to set a hot-key for the command 'invert selection'. can you enable this feature again ?
I have re-added this for the next release.
Not sure why it was removed...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
2) there is a line 'EVERYTHING' in 'organize filters'. may i ask you to add the possibility to rename or delete it ?
the thing is that i prefer to see the completely empty line when all my filters are not active
and i already have this line (visually): organize filters -> new -> the symbol 'no-break space' (alt+0160)
Renaming or deleting the ''EVERYTHING'' filter is currently not possible...
If this filter is missing, Everything will rebuild all the default filters.

I have implemented the option to use a custom ''Everything'' filter name for the next release with the ini option:

Code: Select all

filter_everything_name
You will be able to set this to alt+0160 for a blank filter name.
If it is left empty (default setting) it will use the localized ''Everything'' name.

Thanks for the suggestions.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

thanks for responsiveness, i'm waiting eagerly for the next release

there is 1 more problem with hot-keys:
what exactly should i do to make the 'ctrl+a' combination work in 'search edit' area only (when cursor is in this area) ?
it works in 1.2.1.452 but is it possible in 1.3.1.636 ?

i tried to add this customization: options ---> keyboard ---> edit - select all ---> add ---> search edit - ctrl+a
but it results in selecting all the objects in 'result list', not in 'search edit'
void
Developer

Post by void »

what exactly should i do to make the 'ctrl+a' combination work in 'search edit' area only (when cursor is in this area) ?
Ctrl + A is hard coded to select all for the search edit (when the search edit has focus).
This can not be changed in 1.3.1.

If Select all is set to Ctrl + A, please make sure the "Use shortcut in" is set to the result list.
Otherwise, this shortcut will override the Ctrl + A in the search edit.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

void
frankly speaking, i've understood nothing from your previous message. though i was trying
you say that ctrl+a is hard coded to select all text in the search edit (when the search edit has focus) (in 1.3.1)
and this is exactly what i need but i cannot achieve this behaviour - ctrt+a does not select all text in search edit despite any of my settings

luckily, i managed to discover a workaround:
options ---> keyboard ---> search edit (focus search edit) ---> add ---> ctrl+a (search edit)
void
Developer

Post by void »

frankly speaking, i've understood nothing from your previous message. though i was trying
Sorry about that...

I meant to say if you set a command to Ctrl + A (use-in Global or Search edit), then the search edit will never receive the Ctrl + A.

Please make sure none of your commands have the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A (Global or Search Edit).
If you do have any, please change them to Ctrl + A (Result List).

If this doesn't help, please try restoring the keyboard defaults.
I know there are few issues (like the one above) when you use an Everything.ini from a previous version.

This should be fixed for the next beta release.
spinmonk

Post by spinmonk »

Perhaps related to this discussion of filters but in previous versions of Search Everything it appears that Filter shortcuts were considered a toggle so you could hit the shortcut for a filter you have for "Zip Archives" and then you could press that same shortcut again and get all results, unfiltered.

Would it be possible to return to this behavior? I found it useful to quickly go from one set of filters to another without having to go back to the "Everything" non-filter each time to compare unfiltered results.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Filters will toggle in the next release.