Bug? Everything 1.5.0.1344a shows items of read-only volumes with translucent color;treats read-only volumes as offline?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
nikov

Bug? Everything 1.5.0.1344a shows items of read-only volumes with translucent color;treats read-only volumes as offline?

Post by nikov »

Hi,
From Everything version 1.5.0.1344a, Everything shows items of read-only volumes with a translucent color. It is maybe due to Everything treating read-only volumes as offline.
Is it intended? Doesn't offline mean the volume is detached from the computer? or does it mean both detached and read-only or only read-only?
Also, note that, it can also be a useful feature to indicate items of read-only volumes/drives with a separate color.
But it will be better if Everything can detect writable, read-only, offline volumes and can designate separate colors and opacity for them.
Also, it will be better if user can change both color and opacity of both icons and texts for all of them.

Many thanks for your consideration.
NotNull

Re: Bug? Everything 1.5.0.1344a shows items of read-only volumes with translucent color;treats read-only volumes as offl

Post by NotNull »

How did you make the voiume read-only?

DISKPART's "attributes volume SET readonly" makes a volume read-only, but not dimmed/greyed out in Everything.
At least not here (Everything 1.5.0.1344 x64 @ Win11 22H2 )
void
Developer

Re: Bug? Everything 1.5.0.1344a shows items of read-only volumes with translucent color;treats read-only volumes as offl

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report nikov,

Everything will show volumes with a translucent color when monitoring the volume fails.
This doesn't necessarily mean the volume is offline.

I'm guessing the volume doesn't have a USN Journal.
With monitor changes enabled, Everything will try to create a USN Journal.
If this fails, Everything will treat the volume as offline.

Could you please send your Tools -> Debug -> Statistics to support@voidtools.com
These statistics will contain information about your NTFS volume and USN Journal which will help identify the cause of the issue.

Please consider disabling "monitor changes" for this read-only volume:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Select your read-only volume.
  • Uncheck Monitor changes.
  • Click OK.
Everything will now treat the online status for the volume as "unknown" which will display as a normal item.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:37 am Thank you for the issue report nikov,

Everything will show volumes with a translucent color when monitoring the volume fails.
This doesn't necessarily mean the volume is offline.

I'm guessing the volume doesn't have a USN Journal.
With monitor changes enabled, Everything will try to create a USN Journal.
If this fails, Everything will treat the volume as offline.

Could you please send your Tools -> Debug -> Statistics to support@voidtools.com
These statistics will contain information about your NTFS volume and USN Journal which will help identify the cause of the issue.

Please consider disabling "monitor changes" for this read-only volume:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Select your read-only volume.
  • Uncheck Monitor changes.
  • Click OK.
Everything will now treat the online status for the volume as "unknown" which will display as a normal item.

Hi void,
Thanks for the solution. It worked, but my volume does not always remain in read-only mode, sometime it is in writable mode and sometime it is in read-only mode. Thus, I cannot disable "Monitor changes" permanently.
This problem may not be specific to me, you can easily reproduce this problem by creating a read-only NTFS disk as a virtual disk mounted from a file using ImDisk.
nikov

Post by nikov »

NotNull wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 pm How did you make the voiume read-only?

DISKPART's "attributes volume SET readonly" makes a volume read-only, but not dimmed/greyed out in Everything.
At least not here (Everything 1.5.0.1344 x64 @ Win11 22H2 )
By creating a read-only NTFS disk as a virtual disk mounted from a file using ImDisk.
Also, thanks NotNull for checking this.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the information.

I'll have a fix in the next alpha update.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1345a should now correctly treat read-only volumes as online/offline.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:42 am Everything 1.5.0.1345a should now correctly treat read-only volumes as online/offline.

Thanks it worked, but I also thought this will also come with the ability to color code write-protected volumes. I guess there is no efficient way to color code write-protected/read-only volumes...

Many thanks for the fix, void.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for testing 1345a nikov,

I will consider an option to set the color of read-only volumes.
Thank you for the suggestion.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:58 am Thank you for testing 1345a nikov,

I will consider an option to set the color of read-only volumes.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you for considering this void.