Tools, Options, Advanced; Zoom and Reset Defaults

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Tools, Options, Advanced; Zoom and Reset Defaults

Post by ChrisGreaves »

References:-
Continuous zoom in breaks UI (no upper boundary check)
zoom_steps
zoom percent

I have spent a pleasant afternoon trying to Break Tools, Options, Zoom, with no success (grin! :twisted: ).
However some questions surfaced:

(1) Rather than trying to to type in a string "10;20;30;40;50;60;70;90" Might we not make use of a percentage step "10%"? In my third reference above I see that "zoom percent" was considered, but apparently didn't make the grade. A constant increment might work "10;+10" or "10:90;+10" (from ten to ninety in steps of ten)

(2) Rather than trying to to type in a string "10;20;30;40;50;60;70;90" Might we not make use of a range of steps, using the first value as an increment, so that "5-100" would be an acceptable substitute (a macro if you will) for "5;10;15;20;25;30;35;40;45;50;55;60;65;70;75;80;85;90;95;100"

(3) In the image below I have changed two settings "winMM" and "zoom_steps". Clicking on "Restore Defaults" appears to reset the INI file back to default values. Completely. At least, it resets both "winMM" and "zoom_steps". Might it be possible to reset to default values ONLY the selected keys (using Shift+click and/or Ctrl+click)?
ToolsOptions_18.png
ToolsOptions_18.png (24.57 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Methods of (a) fixed increment (b) percentage increment like the one suggested here could be a standard for whenever Everything needs a list of numeric values.

I don't need any of this, but started thinking after reading through several topics.

Cheers, Chris
void
Developer

Re: Tools, Options, Advanced; Zoom and Reset Defaults

Post by void »

The advanced options page is still in development.

A reset button is in development to restore the default value for a single option.

I will consider a range value and a step value for zoom_steps.
Thank you for the suggestion.
For now, you'll need to specify each value, for example:
zoom_steps=10;20;30;40;50;60;70;80;90;100;110;120;130;140;150;160;170;180;190;200

zoom_steps
winmm
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I only discovered the Advanced options tab from this post.

Can we get a '[x] Hide default settings' checkbox?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, there will be an option to do that in the next alpha update.
Thank you for your suggestion.

I haven't mentioned the advanced page anywhere yet as it's still in development.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

raccoon wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:57 pmI only discovered the Advanced options tab from this post.
Hi Raccoon; this is the worst part of Everything and annoys the heck out of me. :twisted: :lol:
There I was, eating Sunday lunch, minding my own business, and a thought popped into me head. I left the sandwich to curl on the plate and dived into Advanced Search and within a few minutes was zooming in and out of a multi-demential[sic] rabbit-warren constructed by some guy I've never met and probably never will meet.
Can we get a '[x] Hide default settings' checkbox?
And within less than twenty-four hours, asking some other guy I've never met and probably never will meet ... "What does ' Hide default settings' checkbox' do for me?"

Does this toggle a display of each setting's default value alongside the current value? In which case why not display alongside each setting the default value for that setting only if the current value differs from the default value?

Raccoon, it is only by asking for new features at a rate twice that that Void delivers that we can tame this monster! :lol: :twisted:

Cheers, Chris
carfar

Post by carfar »

Hello Void,

I'm wondering where you are in developing the feature that allows one to reset individual values back to their default settings. I've had the experience several times of clicking on the "restore defaults" button to reset just one value, but unfortunately, everything was reset instead. I nearly did it again today in the context menu options, but I remembered in time. Is it possible you've already implemented that?

Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

in the Context Menu section that is already possible: empty the Command field and press OK.
This will reset this field to the out-of-the box value.

I do think it would be better to ask for confirmation after pressing Restore Defaults.
Something like: Are you sure to reset all Context Menu settings to default?