"Add Custom Folder" for beginners ...

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

"Add Custom Folder" for beginners ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I found two topics that tell me that someone here knows what a Custom Folder is (as distinct from a regular folder), but after reading Long custom folder list... and Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup I am no closer to understanding the difference,
Indexes_08.png
Indexes_08.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
I am curious about the distinction between "adding a folder" to the pane and "adding a custom folder" to the pane.
Thanks for any general information.
Chris
void
Developer

Re: "Add Custom Folder" for beginners ...

Post by void »

The tooltip for the path edit in add custom path gives some good examples:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items
ftp://server/share
\\server\share
%APPDATA%
%userprofile%
%temp%

Add Custom makes it easier to add paths that are sometimes impossible to add with the stock Select Folder dialog.

Add Custom allows you to add virtual folders such as the Control Panel and FTP sites.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Add Custom makes it easier to add paths that are sometimes impossible to add with the stock Select Folder dialog.

Add Custom allows you to add virtual folders such as the Control Panel and FTP sites.
Perhaps some of this could be added to the tooltip on the Folder screen instead of just "Add a custom path" to more specifically indicate what Add Custom Path is for.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll update the add custom button tooltip.

Thanks for the suggestion.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

@froggie Thanks for the response. I had not rhought to read the tooltip :blush:
void wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:02 pm Add Custom makes it easier to add paths that are sometimes impossible to add with the stock Select Folder dialog.
Indexes_15.png
Indexes_15.png (23.08 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
Thanks Void.
Does Everything perform some sort of check on validity?
This is for me an academic question, because I have no plans to use the feature, although I suppose if I was setting up for a system that was waiting to be implemented i would find a use for specifying non-existent drives, folders etc.

I suppose too I might use it to paste in an example from a forum post rather than risk errors by re-typing a lengthy path.

My exercise above was just me running through the process once for the learning experience.
Cheers, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does Everything perform some sort of check on validity?
No, you can add offline paths.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

void wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:07 pm I'll update the add custom button tooltip.
[...]
I would suggest replace the example with ordinary

D:\

to though provoking

Z:\

or even better:

B:\

Because it is not uncommon to have more volumes than just the system one but with default alphabetical order applied to them. But a volume with a letter than you normally do not get to see would be more informative in my opinion