C:\WLIB\LeechFTP\LeechTMP\52318781.mp4
S:\LeechTMP\52318781.mp4
dupe: .mp4 523 !c:

Code: Select all

likewise: dupe: !c:

It is still showing the dupe found on S:, of which there is a dupe:, on C:, but since you've excluded C:, then maybe it should no longer list it?
HouseX

Re: dupe: !c: still lists dups now exluded by !c:

Post by HouseX »

is there a way to check dupe by filesize?
therube

Post by therube »

Everything is not intended to search for "duplicate files" (in the traditional sense), but it does a great job on finding files. So knowing file names, it can be extended to find duplicate names.

Now if you sorted the list by size, you may find two of the same named file, with the same size.
And that tells you you have two same named, same sized files.
It does not prove they are "duplicates" in any other manner.

Now if you sorted the list by size, you may find two of the same named file, with roughly the same size.
Might have to view down the list of files a bit, but that may point out two versions (perhaps bitrates) of the same movie, perhaps. So a high bitrate & a lower bitrate. And with that you can say, hey, lets get rid of the lower bitrate version.

dupe: or "dupe: .mp4" ... with a quick analysis could point out things like that.

It might not always be quit obvious. But if you were looking to prune things, dups, sorted by size can give a very quick idea of items to explore further. Could even have a second window of Everything open, so with that biggest file now known, just jump to the other window, pasting the filename & go from there.

Otherwise, AllDup or Duplicate Cleaner Free will be able to search for dups with a provided size range. (The most recent pay version of DC, 3.1, is not up to par IMO - at this time, & I prefer the older 3.0.1 Free.) AllDup is quite a handful when you first look at it, but you quickly become accustomed to it. In any case, both are full featured & very good.

There are lots of lessor programs out there, depending on your needs.

Nirsoft's utilities are always great. His SearchMyFiles will also find duplicates & may be enough, depending on ones needs.
HouseX

Post by HouseX »

is there a way to search dupe folders?
like i have
Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives.2011.retail
Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives.2011.ebook
Movie.Name.19xx.dvdrip
Movie.Name.19xx.720p

i want to find all dupes
Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives
and all who have the same Movie name

but not to search for Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives, just do !dupe "something" to search all dupe folders
void
Developer

Post by void »

There is the search function dupe: but that only searches for exact filename duplicates.

Unfortunately, this won't help find dupes in your case with the following filenames:
Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives.2011.retail
Cambridge.University.Press-Complex.Valued.Matrix.Derivatives.2011.ebook
Movie.Name.19xx.dvdrip
Movie.Name.19xx.720p
HouseX

Post by HouseX »

would be nice a way to do it
those programs mentioned earlier dont work for folders only for files
and i want to be able to find same movie or same content but different ending like diff codec of a movie or diff version of ebook,program etc
so what i think it would work is search only the first 10-15 characters untill a . cause there is a same pattern on movies like i told
Movie.Title.Year.dvdrip.etc
Movie.Title.Year.720p.etc

so it could search untill before .720p or .dvdrip and that way it could find same Movie.Title.Year
ofcourse not all movies have the same lengh of characters but maybe there would be a way to set up the number of characters so you can test it.

do you think another method?
therube

Post by therube »

> is there a way to search dupe folders?
> like i have

(With Search Path set...)
dupe: songs from the w folder:

M:\MUSIC\_A#1\Jethro Tull\Songs From The Wood\96
M:\MUSIC\___fromC\Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious
M:\MUSIC\___fromC\Diablo Swing Orchestra\Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious
M:\MUSIC\___fromC\Jethro Tull\Songs From The Wood
M:\MUSIC\_A#1\Jethro Tull\Songs From The Wood

Tells me that I have multiple versions of "Songs From The Wood".
My A#1 version. A cut down bitrate version, 96. And another that I had on another drive, _fromC, that I copied over to my M: drive. (That is likely a dup, but I'd have to check.)

My particular search also pointed out "The Damned & Delirious", twice. Sometimes what happens is that I'll name a directory; Artist - Album. But then I'll pick up more music, so then I'll just have the directory; Artist & then subdirectories to that with the Album names. Everything just told me when that happened in this case, I ended up leaving the original Artist - Album even though I must have moved the same contents into Artist\subdirectory-Album. (And a quick check confirms I did exactly that, ending up with true dups in that case.)

Now if I remove dupe: from my above search, I also turns up these, which are not duped anywhere:

M:\MUSIC\___fromC\Finn Wallace - Songs from the Coach House
M:\MUSIC\___fromC\Marissa Nadler\Marissa Nadler - Songs III - Bird on the Water