exit "explore" mode? (Folders Sidebar / Treeview)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jimspoon

exit "explore" mode? (Folders Sidebar / Treeview)

Post by jimspoon »

When I first open an Everything window, I notice that in the Folders Sidebar Treeview, the root item "Everything" is not highlighted. Also the Subfolders checkbox is not checked. And the Search Results pane returns all indexed items matching the search in the address bar.

But if I select a folder in the Folders Sidebar Treeview (either by clicking on it, or by using the "Explore in Everything" context menu option) - the search results pane shows only the matching files that are in that folder (or its subfolders if that box is checked).

I was looking for a way to exit this explore mode, to get back to the original display where no folder is selected in the folders pane, and all matching indexed items are shown. I discovered that the only way to get the original search results is to select the root item "Everything" in the sidebar with the Subfolders box checked.

Once I have done this, is this exactly the same view as the original view (no item selected in Folders pane), and the only difference is visual (Everything item selected, Subfolders box checked)?
raccoon

Re: exit "explore" mode? (Folders Sidebar / Treeview)

Post by raccoon »

What version of Everything do you have installed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Once I have done this, is this exactly the same view as the original view (no item selected in Folders pane), and the only difference is visual (Everything item selected, Subfolders box checked)?
Yes.
Selecting Everything and checking subfolders is exactly the same as having no items selected.

Another way to unselect the Everything folder is to Ctrl + click Everything.

Another way is to close the folder sidebar.
Currently, the default behavior is to only search the selected folder when the folder sidebar is visible.
This can be controlled with:
treeview_match_only_when_shown
-or-
treeview_clear_selection_on_close

You can set a keyboard shortcut to toggle the folder sidebar from Tools -> Options -> Keyboard -> Show commands containing -> view | folders
Toggling the folder sidebar with treeview_clear_selection_on_close enabled would reset your selection to nothing.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Why the default is not:
/treeview_match_only_when_shown=0
like Windows behaviour? because an address bar is missing?