What are going to be the common scenarios for using the "Temporary excludes" / "Omit Results"?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Stamimail

What are going to be the common scenarios for using the "Temporary excludes" / "Omit Results"?

Post by Stamimail »

Just to make it more clear what users wanted to do that they could not do until now.
Who are going to use "Temporary excludes" / "Omit Results"?

This question may be important to examine and determine the default behavior.
Last edited by Stamimail on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stamimail

Re: What are going to be the common scenarios for using the "Temporary excludes" / "Omit Results"?

Post by Stamimail »

First, me.
This is my scenario. The omission does not affect other windows, only the current window.
Another example:
Stamimail wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:08 pmWhat you called "Temporarily Omit" that was the feature I was looking for.
In the test, a path like "C:\Wallpapers\Cars" was searched in Everything. I changed the view to Medium Thumbnails (Ctrl+Shift+3). I could select all the yellow cars, and omit.
This feature is going to save a lot of clicks and typing.
void
Developer

Re: What are going to be the common scenarios for using the "Temporary excludes" / "Omit Results"?

Post by void »

A common request is for an exclude alternative to Tools -> Options -> Exclude that doesn't require a rebuild.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

void wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:29 am A common request is for an exclude alternative to Tools -> Options -> Exclude that doesn't require a rebuild.
Suppose someone scans and indexes a large network folder, and he wants to do exclude. Why couldn't he solve this using bookmark / filter settings (and the Home tab if needed)?
What exactly was his case?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Stamimail: If you go to Index -> Enable Omit Results, this adds a new context menu item called "Omit" and "Temporarily Omit" when you select and right-click a group of files/folders. This also unlocks a bunch of extra Omit features under the Index menu that help you manage these exclusions.

This is the only interactive way to add items to your "excludes" from the main Everything search results window. This is what makes the feature special. And they need not be permanent excludes. ("Excludes" in quotes because it's not the same feature, but it does allow you to Add Omissions to Excludes for convenience.)

Certainly, you can individually exclude filenames and folders from within the search bar, or use filelist0: to do so, or Filters... but that lacks interaction and adds clutter to your search queries, or is extremely tedious and time consuming.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

raccoon: I ask myself, what problem the user encountered that this feature is going to solve.
This feature was formerly called "Temporary excludes", as if the user was looking for some "temporary" solution.

According to your explanation, I don't think the user wanted "Temporary excludes" feature. You can rename it to "File List Creator..." - a help tool(s) that helps the user create and manipulate file lists interactively.
RightClick -> Add to filelist
In the filelist pane you will be able to name the filelist, paste it to search bar or save it to disk, and other tasks of file lists.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Temporary Excludes has been around for ages. And it was renamed to Omit to allow for "Temporary Temporary Excludes" aka "Temporary Omit". It just sounds better.

If you want to search and read every post with the word "temporary excludes" then you will understand why and how people use it. That's much easier than asking everyone to repeat here what they already wrote in those immortal posts.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

raccoon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:10 pmIf you want to search and read every post with the word "temporary excludes" then you will understand why and how people use it.
I guess it's a hard way, for me at least.
That's much easier than asking everyone to repeat here what they already wrote in those immortal posts.
No need to repeat. Link to the exact specific post is fine.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

BTW, I think there was something experimental to do it. Try in search bar:

Code: Select all

|filelist0:
Ctrl+Click on filelist0, You'll see "Edit File List 0" dialog. Now try:

Code: Select all

|filelist0:|filelist1:
void
Developer

Post by void »

Suppose someone scans and indexes a large network folder, and he wants to do exclude. Why couldn't he solve this using bookmark / filter settings (and the Home tab if needed)?
What exactly was his case?

Bookmarks/filters can be slow when excluding many folders.
Omit Results is instant.

There can only be one active filter.
So you can't exclude C:\Windows;C:\Program Files;etc... and use the Audio filter.

What happens for you?
If I Ctrl + click filelist0:, Everything shows Edit File List Slot 0
If I Ctrl + click filelist1:, Everything shows Edit File List Slot 1

Pressing F2 while the caret is in filelistx: also works.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

void wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:48 am
What happens for you?

The same, but without the word "Slot"

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

The suggestion to give some personal usage examples was a good idea.
The answer to just read the whole forum threads is just nonsense for me.

This whole bunch of exclude and omit functions need a seperate complete description.
You can't give new users such functions with the current set of documentation.
For me most users are searching for a fast and easy to handle search tool.
I guess not many will ever try this functions without some better description
including usage scenarios.