paste hard link(s) to clipboard items in selected folder

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jimspoon

paste hard link(s) to clipboard items in selected folder

Post by jimspoon »

Ctrl+V copies files on the clipboard to the selected folder. If it does not exist already, I'd like to have a similar keyboard shortcut to paste a hard link(s) to the clipboard item(s) in the selected folder.
therube

Re: paste hard link(s) to clipboard items in selected folder

Post by therube »

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but Link Shell Extension (LSE) provides a context-menu with link options.
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Thanks for reminding me of LSE. LSE will work. Say I have some files highlighted in a Everything result list, and I want to put hard links to these files in a folder. I can right-click on the files and click Pick Link Source. Then I'd do a search to isolate the desired destination folder, and highlight that folder, right click and select Drop As, Hard Link.

My suggestion is perhaps a bit quicker - Ctrl-C to copy the source files, search for and highlight the destination folder, then press a shortcut key to create the hard links in the folder. Since we can already press Ctrl-V to paste new copies in the highlighted folder, I thought it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have a shortcut key (perhaps ctrl+shift+v or something like that) to paste hard links instead.
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

I think pasting hard links to selected folders in the Everything results list could be a quick and useful way of "tagging" files. Folders could be used to represent tags. First, copy files to the clipboard. Then locate the desired folders through a folder: search, and select them. Then use a keystroke to paste hard links to these folders. Now hard links to the files are in all the desired folders. The multi_folder_paste option would come in handy with such an operation.