Everything missing Link Shell Extension Folders' content?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
orfordness@gmail.com

Everything missing Link Shell Extension Folders' content?

Post by orfordness@gmail.com »

Good morning all, my name is Orford Ness from Amsterdam, a newbie here. Happily using Everything since mid 2020, and relying on it heavily since I switched off wretched Windows 10 Search.

I am using Link Shell Extension for Folders and Subfolders to be present and accessible on different, volumes, partitions AND want them to be synced and contain identical up-to-date data. Link Shell Extension

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
It seems Everything is not recognizing them. It does recognize the original parent folder's content but NOT the scattered target folder's content. These can either be symbolic links, junction, smart copy, smart mirror, Delorean copy or symbolic link clone.

Example ALL MOVIES on drive F, its documentaries subfolders pointing to drive D, its Series subfolders pointing to Drive S.
On those drives Everything appears NOT to recognize the present subfolders. So for a search for say "2020" releases I have the search on ALL MOVIES, which is clumsy.

Any suggestions how to make Everything read non-standard Link Shell Extension Folders & subfolders?
Ciao
Orford
Last edited by orfordness@gmail.com on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Everything missing Link Shell Extension Folders' content?

Post by therube »

Are you using Everything Service or running As Administrator?
If the latter, try the former.

Working here, XP, & pretty sure it's also working in Win7 too.

Also bitness may be making a difference, so try 64-bit Everything & 64-bit LSE or 32 & 32.

Oh, you're not using LSE, or maybe you are?
Anyhow, Link Shell Extension (LSE).
therube

Post by therube »

Another possibility... eh, trying to think of where things stand with Everything & links... ?
Maybe it was something like on initial scan, it picks up the links, but with subsequent changes, it may only find one of the links - or something like that, don't recall... ?

If you were to do a periodic, manual Force Rebuild... ?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:16 pm Another possibility... eh, trying to think of where things stand with Everything & links... ?
Maybe it was something like on initial scan, it picks up the links, but with subsequent changes, it may only find one of the links - or something like that, don't recall... ?

If you were to do a periodic, manual Force Rebuild... ?
When Everything builds it's database of a NTFS disk for the first time, it will read that information from the MAster File Table.
That will include junctions

Changes to the filesystem are read from the USN Journal. The USN Journal doesn't specify all hardlinks to a file; just the one that changed.
So it might be possible that Everything misses one (or more) of the hardlinks or has old information on them.

It is on the todo-list for Everything 1.5 - the next major version - to keep track of hardlinks too.

Workarounds (for now)
  • Do a force rebuild of your disks (MEnu:Tools > Options > Indexes). That will re-read the information from the Master File Table and thus include the hardlinks again.
  • Use Folder indexing instead of NTFS indexing (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folder)
    That will read the file information in a different way. However, that will be slower adn does not have real-time updates (requires an update schedule).
    Instructions available if needed.
orfordness@gmail.com

Post by orfordness@gmail.com »

@ therube

Hi thanks for thinking along with me.
Done all you suggested, Yes, I am a full LSE user since 2010? On VISTA and W7 SP1, now W10 Pro.
Machine runs like a F1 car, very happy.
I am registered as the Admin of this my very own production computer for movies and their stuff: usually large files and heavy processing, editing.
Yes done Force Rebuild, no change.
Somehow Everything does not pick up my strewn around Folders & Subfolders of my ALL MOVIES partition.

@notnull tells me hard links are supported and v 1.5 may shed a new light, correct?

USN Journal I had not yet come across; a first for me, very intersting.
Do I have to set something in the settings for this elusive USN Journal to make it work?

Orford