duplicated results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
latarsha

duplicated results

Post by latarsha »

I just updated and I'm still having an issue with everything showing duplicate results.
I checked every file and folder and there are no duplicates nor extras.

I had this same issue with the version I upgraded from. I had really hoped that it would be corrected in the latest update.

My search results all show duplicates. I de-dupe all the time and also have followed up in the folder location of the results. There are no duplicates on my PC, it's just Everything that duplicates the results. All have identical attributes. I do not have multiple drives which could show a dupe with the same name.. also, the paths would be different if it were a true duplicate such as a file named readme.txt. If I searched for something that common then I would have tons, but they would still have different paths.

I did a test to only search 1 small folder with about 10 different photos. All were taken years apart, different names, different sizes.. etc. The search results in Everything shows me 20 results in that same folder.

Any advice?

LaTarsha
bunburyist

Re: Setting to remove duplicated results from index

Post by bunburyist »

I am having this exact same issue. I am somewhat dismayed to see that you have not received any feedback.

Algie

latarsha wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:22 pm I just updated and I'm still having an issue with everything showing duplicate results.

I had this same issue with the version I upgraded from. I had really hoped that it would be corrected in the latest update.

My search results all show duplicates. I de-dupe all the time and also have followed up in the folder location of the results. There are no duplicates on my PC, it's just Everything that duplicates the results. All have identical attributes. I do not have multiple drives which could show a dupe with the same name.. also, the paths would be different if it were a true duplicate such as a file named readme.txt. If I searched for something that common then I would have tons, but they would still have different paths.

I did a test to only search 1 small folder with about 10 different photos. All were taken years apart, different names, different sizes.. etc. The search results in Everything shows me 20 results in that same folder.

Any advice?

LaTarsha
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

bunburyist wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:41 pm I am having this exact same issue. I am somewhat dismayed to see that you have not received any feedback.

Algie

latarsha wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:22 pm I just updated and I'm still having an issue with everything showing duplicate results.

Any advice?

LaTarsha
So your common problem is that you are configuring folder indexing
for NTFS volumes which are indexed by default.
This results in duplicates of course and is no error or problem.
therube

Post by therube »

i.e., FAQ: Duplicated results.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

This is different from the 'normal' duplicates.
Everything sees low-level disk information, whereas DrivePool presents a combination of all these disks as one more or less virtual filesystem.
That happens on a level normal NTFS indexing is unaware of.

@bunburyist: you can search the forums for Drivepool to find a lot more background on this.
Maybe using Folder Indexing on Everything 1.5 can help here? (not tested)
void
Developer

Re: duplicated results

Post by void »

Moved topic.

To remove duplicated results:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Select any NTFS volumes and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
Duplicated Results
abaft

Re: duplicated results

Post by abaft »

<snip>

Any advice?

LaTarsha

Possible explantion and solution:

I've had this happen when using versions 1.4 and 1.5a.
It was an unintended consequence of including folders in the folders list part of the Index
AND also including a file list (saved as an .efu file) of search results that had included those folders.
[I'm a newbie, playing around with Everything, didn't know what's up...]

So if
Tools --> Options --> Indexes --> Folders
and
Tools --> Options --> Indexes --> File Lists
include the same results,
you'll get get a mass of apparent duplicates (shown in Everything search results)
but they're not actual duplicates on your disk drive.

Solution: don't also include the File List in the Index.

The worst case scenario is when you index your chosen Folders,
save the results as a File List,
and then also include that File List in the Index options straight away.
Then ALL files appear duplicated in the search results (eeek...).

If the File List isn't automatically updated [a possible option],
then over some days, newer files appear in search results only once
(coming from from the Folder List, which is current)
whereas other/older files, dated from the File List creation datetime and earlier
will appear twice (once from the Folder List, and once from the dated File List).

Hope this helps.