Autocomplete paths and search Thunderbird messages

General discussion related to "Everything".
marylin

Autocomplete paths and search Thunderbird messages

Post by marylin »

Thanks again for this amazing software, others should learn! :-)

Two unrelated questions:
1. Sometimes I need to search files in a specific folder, so starting the search with \ brings a list of matches but if there are similar folder names with spaces it would be useful to autocomplete a folder path, such as in linux shell.

2. I have seen a thread to search Outlook message files but would like to know if I can search Thunderbird messages.

Thank you!
NotNull

Re: Autocomplete paths and search Thunderbird messages

Post by NotNull »

1. Path completion is on the to-do list for a next major version of Everything.
    But that will likely be the path from the beginning, so starting with C:\...
    Otherwise Everything would have to path-complete 7401 folders if you type \w (that is how many folders start with a "w" on my system).
    You can enclose your foldername in "" if it contains spaces.
  2. According to several forum posts, searching in Thunderbird messsages is possible (use the forum search; top right of the page), but at a glance there was no instruction how to do that. Hopefully someone else steps in to help you further (no recent personal experience with Thunderbird)

[*] And personally, I hope that includes variable completion. That way I wouldnt have to type %LOCALAPPDATA% in full.
therube

Post by therube »

Is TB using (text based) Mbox?
If so then wouldn't a
content:
search find (text strings) in the particular Mbox file?
froggie

Post by froggie »

therube wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm Is TB using (text based) Mbox?
If so then wouldn't a
content:
TB is text based and
content:
will find the Mbox files that contain the search string. In the case of many Mbox files with few messages in each, this would be workable, but I suspect that is not the usual case. (Note that Thunderbird MBox file names have no extension)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

froggie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm
therube wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm Is TB using (text based) Mbox?
If so then wouldn't a
content:
TB is text based and
content:
will find the Mbox files that contain the search string. In the case of many Mbox files with few messages in each, this would be workable, but I suspect that is not the usual case. (Note that Thunderbird MBox file names have no extension)
I switched Thunderbird to the Maildir format a long time ago.
This has many advantages and also the benefit of finding content with Everything
or even better wirh the Windows indexer.