Everything does not search in a mounted folder

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
bacounsel

Everything does not search in a mounted folder

Post by bacounsel »

I installed Pismo File Mount Audit Package, a freeware application downloaded at www.pismotechnic.com, on my Windows XP, NTFS-volume desktop. With this application, a user can create a password-protected file that can be mounted as a normal folder of the same name as the file. The folder resides in the same location of the file and can function as any other folder.

My problem is that Everything fails to search in such folder. I asked Pismo File Mount's author if the mounted folder is of an NTFS format and was told that it is neither NTFS nor FAT. The author said in his response to me, and I quote him as saying:

"PFM is not an image (virtual disk) based technology, so it does not leverage the NTFS/FAT/CDFS support built into Windows.

"PFO is not NTFS or FAT. It is a separate file system data format with built in support for volume level encryption and compression."

The answer seems technical and I cannot quite understand it thoroughly. Please can someone help me resolve the problem as to why Everything does not search in such folder. In my other use of the folder, it has worked normally and been accessible by the applications I have installed on my desktop. Any assistance will be much appreciated.
void
Developer

Re: Everything does not search in a mounted folder

Post by void »

Unfortunately, "Everything" will only index NTFS volumes at this stage.

I am implementing support for indexing any folder in Windows.
However, indexing folders will not be as fast as indexing NTFS volumes and you would need to maintain these indexes manually.
bacounsel

Post by bacounsel »

Thank you very much for the answer. I will be looking forward to an update of this excellent Everything software that will ultimately handle indexing of volume formats other than the NTFS.
popkov

Post by popkov »

void wrote:Unfortunately, "Everything" will only index NTFS volumes at this stage.

I am implementing support for indexing any folder in Windows.
However, indexing folders will not be as fast as indexing NTFS volumes and you would need to maintain these indexes manually.
I've noticed that "Everything" do not index even those mounted directories that are on NTFS-volume. On my machine (WinXP SP3) one folder on disk C:/ (NTFS) is transformed into a junction point referring to a folder on NTFS drive D:/ by Sysinternals' utility "junction.exe". Everything works perfectly but "Everything" does not index this folder at all. :(
therube

Post by therube »

popkov

Post by popkov »

therube wrote:See if this helps, Can not search a drive without drive name.
Thank you, "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a works correctly.