File Explorer replacement recommendations?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Cynthia Moore

File Explorer replacement recommendations?

Post by Cynthia Moore »

For some time I have been meaning to look into getting a replacement for Windows File Explorer. Can anyone here recommend one?
vsub

Re: File Explorer replacement recommendations?

Post by vsub »

Why do you need that,what exactly you don't like about it
I am using an addon called QTTabBar that adds tabs to the explorer and many other features

If you want separate program
Q-Dir is nice and it's free(it's closely imitates the explorer view but adds panes and tabs and many other features)
XYPlorer is also nice but the free version is old but have plenty of features but I don't really like the tiles view mode(it doesn't look like the explorer)
ovg

Post by ovg »

Total Commander. And TC is aware about Everything and use it.
therube

Post by therube »

Altap Salamander 4.0 - Freeware
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8249
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

vsub wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:29 pm Why do you need that,what exactly you don't like about it
I am using an addon called QTTabBar that adds tabs to the explorer and many other features
I've also used QTTabBar for years & years and love it. HOWEVER, the major flaw & irritant to me is that paths longer than 255 characters can't be opened, copied, moved or renamed in Windows File Explorer. Replacement file explorer programs gives you those options. I know, Win 10 FINALLY allows paths over 255 characters, but I'm on Win 7 and don't ever envision me using Win 10 in my lifetime.

Because of that, I actually spent many hours one day setting up Free Commander to see how I liked it, but finally just dumped it because many features I've set up in QTTabBar just couldn't be duplicated. So frustrating!
vsub

Post by vsub »

Q-Dir also can't open such long paths but XYPlorer for example can
This is the free version
https://www.xyplorer.com/free.php

There is paid version with 30 days trial to try it and while the free version have A LOT of features,the paid version have even more
https://www.xyplorer.com/product.php#features
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Trapper wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 am
vsub wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:29 pm Why do you need that,what exactly you don't like about it
I've also used QTTabBar for years & years and love it. HOWEVER, the major flaw & irritant to me is that paths longer than 255 characters can't be opened, copied, moved or renamed in Windows File Explorer. Replacement file explorer programs gives you those options. I know, Win 10 FINALLY allows paths over 255 characters, but I'm on Win 7 and don't ever envision me using Win 10 in my lifetime.

Because of that, I actually spent many hours one day setting up Free Commander to see how I liked it, but finally just dumped it because many features I've set up in QTTabBar just couldn't be duplicated. So frustrating!
So you expect the rest of your life-time is only a few years ?
If not a statement as "but I'm on Win 7 and don't ever envision me using Win 10 in my lifetime" is nonsense.
In a few years there will be no support for Windows 7 from Microsoft or other vendors.
Also I guess you never tried Windows 10 for yourself.
I started with Windows 7 and moved to Windows 10 from its very first version and I miss nothing.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

vsub wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:29 pm
If not a statement as "but I'm on Win 7 and don't ever envision me using Win 10 in my lifetime" is nonsense.
In a few years there will be no support for Windows 7 from Microsoft or other vendors.
[/quote]

No, it's not nonsense at all, I'm 70 years old. There's a possibility I'll be able to ride out lack of support for apps, drivers, etc. in my lifetime. XP was usable for years and years after EOL before it became untenable.

If not, there are other options to consider, such as a stable linux distro like Ubunto or Mint. It's just a matter of deciding which option you select is less painful in the long run.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Trapper wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:31 pm
vsub wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:29 pm
No, it's not nonsense at all, I'm 70 years old. There's a possibility I'll be able to ride out lack of support for apps, drivers, etc. in my lifetime. XP was usable for years and years after EOL before it became untenable.

If not, there are other options to consider, such as a stable linux distro like Ubunto or Mint. It's just a matter of deciding which option you select is less painful in the long run.
[/quote]
Thats the type uf usage which make the internet unsafe for no reason.
No security patches applied after end of support in Windows means to be the target for all sort of bad software.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Trapper wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:31 pm If not, there are other options to consider, such as a stable linux distro like Ubunto or Mint. It's just a matter of deciding which option you select is less painful in the long run.
And another alternative: at that time ReactOS might be ready for daily use ..

(Has anyone already tried to run Everything on ReactOS?)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

(This topic was moved to the "Off-topic discussion" section of the forum)
jacinto20200522

Post by jacinto20200522 »

Please, take a look to Double Commander.

It's free, and very similar to Total Commander (it's even compatible with its plugin API).

Just my two cents.