WIN-F

General discussion related to "Everything".
Logg

WIN-F

Post by Logg »

I'd like to change it so that the key combination WIN-F pulls up Everything instead of Windows' default file search. How can I accomplish this?
void
Developer

Re: WIN-F

Post by void »

Logg

Post by Logg »

Works great, thanks.
eartist

Post by eartist »

Yes it works very well thanks!

In short:
Download and install the free AutoHotKey.exe
Create a text file (any name).
Enter this line of text: #f::Run %A_ProgramFiles%\Everything\Everything.exe
Save text file. Change extension to .ahk

You want this script to be run every time you start up windows so that pressing Win + F will launch Everything.
Choose your favourite method, or do this:
Put .ahk file somewhere convenient; I've put mine in C:
Put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder Start / All Programs then right-click on the Startup folder; choose Open.
Syclone0044

Re: WIN-F on Windows 7 x64

Post by Syclone0044 »

This doesn't seem to work in Windows 7 64 bit. Nothing happens when I assign Win-F using the #f::Run C:\UTILITY\Everything\Everything.exe script.

However if I use the key "Win-V" instead of F (which has a predefined Windows 7 Explorer Search shortcut), then it works.

I have to use Admin rights to make it work. So does this mean Windows 7 doesn't allow you to override the built in Win-F Search?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I don't know about autohotkey, but I can tell you Everything can not override existing Windows Hot Key bindings. This is a limitation with Windows Hot Keys.
vsub

Post by vsub »

void wrote:I don't know about autohotkey, but I can tell you Everything can not override existing Windows Hot Key bindings. This is a limitation with Windows Hot Keys.
Maybe I didn't understand what you mean but if I set Win+F or Browser_Search as a hotkey,if Everything is not running,the windows search will appear but if everything is running,it will show the everything window rather than the window search.

Btw,everyone who have problems with AHK and setting a key,if you want to use Win+F,you should try

Code: Select all

LWin & SC021::
SC021 is the scan code of the F button

I use a program that switches the keyboard layout(language)and when I do that,none of the keys I set are working(with some exceptions)but if I use the scan code of a key rather than the key name,then it's fine.
itFranck

Post by itFranck »

For Windows 7 users

Create a Register-Everything.reg file
Paste the following into it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything-search]
@="Everything search protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything-search\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe,-1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything-search\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything-search\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything-search\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe /WQ:%1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications]
"Everything"="Software\\Everything\\Search\\Capabilities"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Everything]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Everything\Search]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Everything\Search\Capabilities]
"ApplicationName"="Everything"
"ApplicationDescription"="Everything filesearch utility"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Everything\Search\Capabilities\UrlAssociations]
"search"="Everything-search"
Execute the Register-Everything.reg file (if it does not works, try again using right-click "Run as administrator" option.
Go into the control panel/Default program
Click on the option "Associate a type of file or protocol to a program" (My windows is in french, so it's not the exact translation i'm giving you)
Find "Search " in the window that opened and double-click on it.
You should see "Windows Explorer" and "Search Everything".
Choose the search engine you want to use (in our case, Everything.)

Please note, this does not works on windows 8.
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

Thank you for the Reg code itFranck. However there's some minor adjustments.

For the line:
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe /WQ:%1
/WQ:%1 is not correct, this opens Everything's Command Line Options.

Here are the proper Reg codes:

For Windows 7 x86

"URL Protocol"=""

@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe,-1"

@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe

For Windows 7 x64

"URL Protocol"=""

@="C:\\Program Files\\Everything\\Everything.exe,-1"

@="C:\\Program Files\\Everything\\Everything.exe

Note:

[Edited for corrections and clarity]

When Everything is the Default Desktop Search Application, the key combination Win+F opens Everything no matter what application is focused.

The F3 key opens Everything only when you have the Desktop focused. When in Windows Explorer/Folders, the Ctrl+F and F3 key commands focuses the search bar to the top right of the window/folder that is opened and focused (expected behaviour). These key commands will also open the Search/Find feature of an application (such as your web browser) if available and programmed to do so.

*The Win+F is automatically assigned and used to open Everything's dialog even if Everything.exe is not running. :D
(Make sure that there is not another application that's Hooked or assigned to those keys for proper execution).

I've attached a Zip archive with the already created .reg files you'll need to Register (also to Unregister if need be) Everything as the Default Search Application if you are not comfortable creating the file(s) yourself.

Edit Sept. 29th 2016: I've re-uploaded the missing/corrupted attachment as a Zip archive (original upload was a 7z archive) and renamed to: Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs_Win7_Vista-2016.zip. ~(all included .reg files have been hashed and you will find these hashes in the Zip archive and can test once uncompressed.)

Thank you again for posting this tweak itFranck. I'd like to note that the reg codes I used (but is the standard for replacing the default Windows search protocol) are from Locate32's (http://locate32.cogit.net) help notes/files, thanks go to that Dev for the info.

Thanks also to void for an outstanding program with great support and superior attention to details and help. Donation coming your way (edit: donated).
Attachments
Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs_Win7_Vista-2016.zip
Hash values for the Zip file:

MD5 value: 38aab7994777ea498d09dab41c662a67

SHA256 value: b990a70e55d1f943d786a977f39f1dcdbdba0fa935fd6192bf9d1e320ee81c56
(5.94 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
Last edited by Purgatory on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
itFranck

Post by itFranck »

Does someone have the valid Windows 8 way of doing this Win F search ?
It would be interesting to get the information on that.
therube

Post by therube »

I seem to recall myself posting something about Win8 being different in the way it handles Win-key assignments ...

I did, http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?p=7611#p7611.
itFranck

Post by itFranck »

therube wrote:I seem to recall myself posting something about Win8 being different in the way it handles Win-key assignments ...

I did, http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?p=7611#p7611.
The link is broken.
However, a quick search brought me to this post, which I suppose was the one you referred to.
therube wrote:
Perhaps the Win key works differently in Win8 ?
Looks like a lot of Win key's, including Z, are preassigned in Win8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -shortcuts

Basically (if I'm quoting the right thing), you are saying that Win+F is preassigned (and many other binding) by Windows 8.
However, the same applies to Windows 7. Windows+F was reserved also.
It's why, in the first place, we needed to tweak the registry in order to add a new "search provider" and bind Everything to it.

There seems to be a way to implement a custom search provider in Windows 8 too but I didn't find how.
I tried several things and failed miserably; then I binded Everything on Win+A, which is free but less
intuitive and use a free binding while Win+F remains taken for the "windows integrated file search" which is
far less interesting and efficient.

Anyway, I can live with Win+A.
If I ever find the way, I'll post it here.
yoyomaah

Post by yoyomaah »

You can disable ("free") single Win- key combinations, including Win+F (which I did on my machine).

Here is the reg-key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"DisabledHotkeys"=hex(2):46,00,00,00
It is basically an extended string with the value "F" (if you look at it in regedit).

After you disabled it and restarted your machine for the registry changes to take effect, you can simply set the Hotkey Win+F in Everything's Keyboard settings

See also answer #6 from this post for more info: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... me-Premium

cheers.
bunchofsage

Post by bunchofsage »

yoyomaah wrote:You can disable ("free") single Win- key combinations, including Win+F (which I did on my machine).

Here is the reg-key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"DisabledHotkeys"=hex(2):46,00,00,00
It is basically an extended string with the value "F" (if you look at it in regedit).

After you disabled it and restarted your machine for the registry changes to take effect, you can simply set the Hotkey Win+F in Everything's Keyboard settings

See also answer #6 from this post for more info: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... me-Premium

cheers.
Thanks yoyomaah, this indeed works! Use

"DisabledHotkeys"=hex(2):53,00,00,00
for "S" or just see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3aASC ... _Chart.svg for other keys.
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

Resurrection is good!

I've just recently updated to Windows 10 (x64 Pro) and was disheartened to see that my hotkey command (Win+A) was now allocated to 'Open the action center.'

After looking for All Windows 10 Shortcut Key commands, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Win+F was not allocated to any built-in shortcut/command in Windows 10 :D - (Win8 is another matter).

So it's back to my favourite shortcut/hotkey command, Win+F for Windows 10 systems (I use it for: 'Show window Hotkey').

Long live Win+F for Everything.

Here's Microsoft's Keyboard shortcuts list for Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -shortcuts

Plus a nice layout for print/quick reference (.PDF or .DOC types) is here: https://www.microsoft.com/itshowcase/Ar ... ontent/624

Happy searching!
Purgatory

Re: WIN-F - For Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Post by Purgatory »

Edit: I see it's already been commented on to some degree: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5610&p=15296&hilit=hotkey#p15296

Well, that didn't last long. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update released by Microsoft on August 2nd, 2016 has re-assigned the Win+F to the 'Feedback Hub' application. I've found no way to turn this app off (as if MS would let you). ;)
New keyboard shortcut for Feedback Hub on PC: We love getting your feedback, and want to make it even easier for you to get into Feedback Hub on PC builds. To capture a screenshot and launch Feedback Hub please use they keyboard shortcut Windows key + F. This opens Feedback Hub and attaches a screenshot of your PC (you can review and remove this before you submit). The old PC keyboard shortcut of Windows key + SHIFT + ? will stop working because of this change.
For now, I'm content with using Win+F3 as my new default to 'Show window Hotkey'. It's only a tiny bit longer reach.

I hope this tidbit of info helps with your sanity.

The Win+F is dead, long live, ahh...the Win+F3! (for now).
tomatojuicer

Post by tomatojuicer »

Using Autohotkey with the following code works for me (if you have set your combo to Win+F3 in Everything)

#F::SendInput, {LWin down}{F3}{LWin up}
I deinstalled Feedback Hub and have my Win+F combination disabled via registry (see above, not sure if this is actually necessary)
Purgatory

Re: WIN-F - For Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Post by Purgatory »

Thank you for the info, tomatojuicer.

For me, I see no need to have an extra layer for the keyboard shortcut command: Show window Hotkey as Win+F3.

I did Uninstall Feedback Hub, but as reported by others, it makes no difference. It's Win+F shortcut remains unavailable for other use. :cry:

It seems we're getting short on the single hand, easy to reach keyboard shortcuts. Especially on keyboards with only 1 Windows key.
gdv

Post by gdv »

Purgatory wrote:I've attached a 7z compressed archive with the already created .reg files you'll need to Register and Unregister Everything as the Default Search Application if you are not comfortable creating the file(s) yourself.

Edit: I've re-uploaded (again) ( + new MD5 checksum: 8a10240aef88c4a3f311f6589b245ba5 ) the missing attachment (renamed) > [ Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs.7z ].
I think the currently attached Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs.7z download must to be corrupt.

Both TrIDNet and a visual examination of the file header in a hex editor indicate the download is a 7-Zip (.7z) file, but 7-Zip will not open it.

I have downloaded it several times and each downloaded file has md5 = b50328508f23db87b8c55e4cd4fc4238 (instead of the advertised md5 = 8a10240aef88c4a3f311f6589b245ba5).

Any chance you can check and re-upload a corrected version? ---If so, thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

(Correct. The .7z file is not opened by 7-Zip & the hashes do not agree.

BTW, the TriDNet utility [trid.exe] is one of the utilities used by Universal Extractor.)
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

gdv wrote:
Purgatory wrote:I've attached a 7z compressed archive with the already created .reg files you'll need to Register and Unregister Everything as the Default Search Application if you are not comfortable creating the file(s) yourself.

Edit: I've re-uploaded (again) ( + new MD5 checksum: 8a10240aef88c4a3f311f6589b245ba5 ) the missing attachment (renamed) > [ Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs.7z ].
I think the currently attached Everything_Default_Search_Register_configs.7z download must to be corrupt.

Both TrIDNet and a visual examination of the file header in a hex editor indicate the download is a 7-Zip (.7z) file, but 7-Zip will not open it.

I have downloaded it several times and each downloaded file has md5 = b50328508f23db87b8c55e4cd4fc4238 (instead of the advertised md5 = 8a10240aef88c4a3f311f6589b245ba5).

Any chance you can check and re-upload a corrected version? ---If so, thanks!
Hi, gdv.

That's a bit weird. I had to re-upload the original file sometime back when there were (?) forums changes/issues/updates or whatever happened, but the original archive was no longer available when I checked the link and so I re-uploaded, perhaps in Sept. > 2014 - ( 'Last edited by Purgatory on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm' ).

I just now downloaded the link from here (Voidtools forum) and it will not open for me either. The error says "This file is broken" - this is obviously a corrupted 7z archive and would explain why my original MD5 Hash (8a10240aef88c4a3f311f6589b245ba5) do not match with the downloaded 7z archive from here. I did/do test my uploaded file(s) to make sure they are what I uploaded. There might have been a corruption at the hosting end? :?

I'll be uploading it again as a Zip archive and posting new hash values. Please see the original post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=955#p7343 - Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Thank you therube for your input. :)
askold

Post by askold »

I'll be uploading it again as a Zip archive and posting new hash values. Please see the original post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=955#p7343 - Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
you've an error in both .reg-files of your archive ‒ last quotation mark is missed in the end of string 15:
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Everything\\Everything.exe"
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Last reply was 5 years ago. :)

Also, I've never NOT been able to reassign any of the Win-Keys via AutoHotkey, and definitely not in Windows 7. But I do run my main script As Administrator on startup through the Task Scheduler quietly assigning it Admin privileges without a UAC popup. On a normal PC without crazy laptop keyboard drivers, any key can be overridden by running As Admin, or by using the dollar-sign ($) keyboard hook prefix.

#F:: msgbox test
AKazak

Post by AKazak »

eartist wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 am Yes it works very well thanks!

In short:
Download and install the free AutoHotKey.exe
Create a text file (any name).
Enter this line of text: #f::Run %A_ProgramFiles%\Everything\Everything.exe
Save text file. Change extension to .ahk

You want this script to be run every time you start up windows so that pressing Win + F will launch Everything.
Choose your favourite method, or do this:
Put .ahk file somewhere convenient; I've put mine in C:
Put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder Start / All Programs then right-click on the Startup folder; choose Open.
Thank you for the useful suggestion.
It works fine!