PhotoInsight is using Everything

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
jams

PhotoInsight is using Everything

Post by jams »

Hi Everything community !

I've been working on a side project for more than a year now https://photoinsight.io which makes heavy use of our dear Everything.
My goal with this message is to find people interested in this application to participate to the upcoming beta program (fill in the form on the web page).

PhotoInsight
Shortly the goal of this application is to help people that manage a lot of photos and images to easily find a specific photo or serie of photos without dealing with files and folders at anytime.
Currently the application is not released, but the open beta is coming soon.
Your feedback is more than welcome, either on the application itself or on the landing page.

Background
I've been working in the photo software industry for more than 7 years whichs has led me to think that finding photos is a big issue.
Especially nowadays when smartphones and social media flood our hard drives with photos.

Contribution
If you are a developer you may be interested in one of my open source project https://github.com/ju2pom/EverythingNet that wraps Everything into a .NET library. This library (along with Everything of course) is the foundation of PhotoInsight.

Thanks.
jams

Re: PhotoInsight is using Everything

Post by jams »

I've been told that the subscribe form was broken, so if any of you ever wanted to subscribe but could not I wanted to tell you that it's fixed !
Really, don't hesitate to post feedback here, good or bad it will be useful to me.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I do very little with photos, so I'm probably not the one you are looking for.

But ...
I took a look at your website and have some remarks (in random order)
  • Pricing: "On time purchase" should probably be: "One time purchase"? (English is not my native language, so not sure)
  • Contact"info is missing. Or is the twitter/facebook part on the bottom mentioned for that? (btw: only Twitter is accessible; or is that because I block all facebook related stuff?)
  • I like the clean layout of your application very much
  • RGB - JPG, PNG, TIF
    No BMP, GIF?
    BTW: I thought TIF was the old DOS 8.3 short-name extension adn the 'official' one is TIFF?
  • I like the layout of the website, but I don't like the (AMP) tracking/analytics/telemetrics. (but that's not specific to your site). But I understand why you integrated this.
  • What kind of application will this be? 32-bit/64-bit? Windows App? UWP?
  • Can it be run as a limited/resticted (non-admin) user?
My guess is that you will get more response when the actual application is available

There is a thread on this forum where applications are listed that make use of Everything. Your PhotoInsight application and your EverythingNet belong in that list too. Shall I add it there or are you willing to do that? (that will probably result in a better description :))
jams

Post by jams »

Thanks a lot David for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
All your comments were perfectly relevant and I took almost all of them into account.
  • You were right, it's a typo (English is not my native language too)
  • As I don't use Facebook so I removed the icon and replaced linkedIn with email contact
  • TIF => TIFF
  • Actually as I'm quite bad at web development I started with a nice "no-coding" web app ( https://8b.com/ ) to build the landing page, then I downloaded it to continue with code. As it was already based on AMP I kept it for best google indexation and mobile compatibility (as you guessed).
  • You are right there's a lack of details on "specification" but for the moment I prefer to keep it simple :) (though I have added a mention about 64bit)
  • Same as above
I have also added a post in the thread you pointed to me, but for sure it will be more attractive when it's released.

Thanks again for the time you took to review it !
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

jams wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 pm Thanks a lot David for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
Glad that I could help! (but I am not David). As said: not much experience in this area, but this seems like a promising application.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

NotNull wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 pm My guess is that you will get more response when the actual application is available
A beta version (0.9.0) (0.9.1) of PhotoInsight is now available at https://photoinsight.io/
(subscribing the newsletter is optional)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

PhotoInsight is now out of beta and the official version (currently 1.0.1) is available at https://photoinsight.io/
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:14 am PhotoInsight is now out of beta and the official version (currently 1.0.1) is available at https://photoinsight.io/
Not impressed, tried it and uninstalled it after a short run.
I had to delete manualy many files left over on my disk.
It searched my pictures and presented a useless screen
on which the same number of pictures where shown for all available time frames.
Also it installs an service for which I don't see any need for such type of application.
jams

Post by jams »

Hi, I'm sad you did not like PhotoInsight.

Let me just clarify a few points.
  • The "home" screen let the user quickly see most recent photos (shot, created, modified or added to the database).
    I guess it can be useless for some people, but considering it adds photos to the database even when the main application is not running, it can be useful for some other people.
  • The real interesting screen is the Photo Wall, did you see it?
  • Yes a Windows service is installed, and I really understand that not everybody like this, but that's not evil to install a service. PhotoInsight does it for the good of the user (.
  • I admit the uninstaller is a bit rough, but the remaining files are the database, cached thumbnails and user settings. Please note that this is version 1.0.1. The application is brand new, and there are many improvements to be done.