Colors/flags to be added to individual result lines

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jsueirob

Colors/flags to be added to individual result lines

Post by jsueirob »

One more suggestion on colors Windows can show. Is there a way to add to each index entry a "multibit flag (4,8,16...)" with a color code so they appear with individual (background, for example) colors?. This way I could mark some related files with a single, different color and later locate them at a glance within any subsequent query I made. Or, if you don't want to change the visual appearance, these "flags" (say 1,2...15 or more) could just appear as a new sortable column so I can group those marked results.
Example:
1- query->*.bat, sort->by name, select the ones beginning with "a", mark them with flag #3 (for example)
2- new query->*.b*, sort->by flag, select the ones with flag #3 , now sort by size.

Those flags could be erased when exiting Everything, or not (option in settings?)

It seems to me an easy thing to implement and will make this great tool even more useful (if possible)!

Thank you, E-team!
NotNull

Re: Colors/flags to be added to individual result lines

Post by NotNull »

As an alternative/ workaround for your suggestion, you can use a File List:
  • In Everything, open the File List Editor ( Menu:Tools > File List Editor)
  • Drag all the files that you would otherwise mark with a colour to the File List Editor
  • Save the results as an EFU file (Menu:File > Save)
  • Open that EFU file in Everything (Menu:File > Open File List )
  • Enter the your new search query
  • When done, close the File List to return to your regular Everything (Menu:File > Close File List)
Some notes:
- You can open multiple File List Editors at the same time
- You can also open this File List in a separate Everything window (Menu:File > New Search Window)

There is another alternative, but that is less flexible:
  • In Everything, enable the option to drag filenames to the search bar:
    Enter /search_edit_drag_accept_files=1 in the search bar and press ENTER
    (this oiption can not be found in the GUI)
  • Open a separate Everything window (Menu:File > New Search Window)
  • Select all the files that you would otherwise mark with a colour in the first Everything window
  • Drag these files to the search bar of the second Everything window
  • Add your new search query to the search bar
To disable the option to drag filenames to the search bar:
  • Enter /search_edit_drag_accept_files=0 in the search bar and press ENTER
jsueirob wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 pm It seems to me an easy thing to implement
As I "always" say: Things are always simple for those who don't actually have to do it.
(it doesn't sound very trivial to me,but I'm not the developer)
jsueirob

Re: Colors/flags to be added to individual result lines

Post by jsueirob »

Hi!

As an old time (1976 with DEC computers/mainframes) programmer, I'm sure this is not too hard to implement, although not trivial, too. Of course there have to be some restrictions (number of colors or flags, perhaps maximum search results to be applied -memory limitations-,...) But of course I'm not in command, so there are probably a lot of more useful suggestions to be taken into account.
Thanks for such a great program!