Crashing when right-clicking on multiple selected files

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
vertigo

Crashing when right-clicking on multiple selected files

Post by vertigo »

Everything kept crashing when searching "P:\*.jpg" and selecting multiple files then right-clicking on them. Tried with xml files and with jpg files elsewhere and it doesn't crash, tried with other file types on P drive and didn't crash, so not sure what triggered it with those specific ones. Got a debug log of it but it lists the search results, which shows all the files, so that's not getting submitted. Can't really provide much other info, so not sure how much help this is, but figured I'd bring it up.
raccoon

Re: Crashing when right-clicking on multiple selected files

Post by raccoon »

Under Help -> About Everything, which version are you using?
therube

Post by therube »

Do you have any content-menu handlers set up that deal with .jpg files?

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

1.4.1.965 (x64)

Not that I can tell. I assume they'd be listed as "JPG" or "JPEG" or ".jpg/.jpeg" but I don't see those or anything else that might indicate that I do. Also, as I said, it was only an issue on that drive. I recently did the same on four other drives and another directory and its subdirectories on a fifth drive without any issues; this was the only one that was a problem for some reason. I also tested by just searing "*.jpg" without specifying a drive and it was fine. Maybe there was a corrupt file in the ones that caused the crash.

Edit: I should also add that I ended up just using explorer to search the drive for .jpg's and delete them, which worked flawlessly. I typically use Everything or other software instead of explorer because it's generally a POS. But in this case it had no problems.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Does (did?) one or more of these files have a very long path and/or filename?
You can test this quickly by adding
path:len:>255
to your search query.
If it shows one ore more files, the answer is yes (and there might be soltions to this issue)
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Probably. As I said, they're gone now, but they were all .jpgs created by media server software, one for each video file, and there are currently 10 video files on that drive that are >255 characters. Furthermore, selecting and right-clicking on those causes Everything to crash in the same way, so I'd say it's a good bet that's the problem.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

This can be caused by a shell extension that doesn't handle really long path names.
Please enable shell max path:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/shell_max_path=1
  • If successful, you should see shell_max_path=1 in the status bar for a few seconds.
Is the issue gone after this?
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Showed up in the status bar, but Everything still crashed.

As a side note, every time it crashes the next startup takes a while before it's ready because it has to rebuild the index, which shouldn't be necessary.