I would like a box to hard specify path

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
filefilaments

I would like a box to hard specify path

Post by filefilaments »

I am one of the locate32 migrators over here - I'd prefer an application which is updated more often.

I can't find in the options, a way to hard define a box which has a path, I want it fast and simple.

So if I search for *.txt it would be nice if there was a box I can click in to just type i:\documents or heck, i:\

Considering how old this application now is, I would guess, it's been suggested a long time and people don't like the idea? However it's worth asking.

I would gladly pay a small, one time fee for the app / addition of this.
ovg

Re: I would like a box to hard specify path

Post by ovg »

Try to use filters ...
filefilaments

Post by filefilaments »

I specifically would like a convenient and fast to access, always on box, just like locate 32
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

filefilaments wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:31 pm I specifically would like a convenient and fast to access, always on box, just like locate 32
What is so slow using the drop-down filter menu in Everything ?
I used Locate32 for many years but I don't miss anything using Everything.
The search functions in Locate where very basic and there is no compare to Everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think I am missing something obvious (not familiar with Locate32), but you can add a folder name to your search-query, like:

Code: Select all

*.txt I:\documents
Extra suggestions:
- you can replace *.txt with .txt or ext:txt Especially the ext: is handy if you want to find multipe file extensions, like ext:txt;doc;pdf
- If your foldername contains spaces, it needs to be enclosed in ""
- take a look at the Search Help Page for many more search tricks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

A "locations bar" is on my TODO list.

Thanks for the suggestion.
filefilaments

Post by filefilaments »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm What is so slow using the drop-down filter menu in Everything ?
It is slower to access, I am a very fast user, I expect my programs to be fast.
With Locate32 I can search for things, press tab tab, type g:\magoo - hit enter, bam - list is updated, filtered to one path and with my typing speed - in less than a second.

horst.epp wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm I used Locate32 for many years but I don't miss anything using Everything.
Nothing wrong with improving things.
filefilaments

Post by filefilaments »

NotNull wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:05 pm I think I am missing something obvious (not familiar with Locate32), but you can add a folder name to your search-query, like:

Code: Select all

*.txt I:\documents
Extra suggestions:
- you can replace *.txt with .txt or ext:txt Especially the ext: is handy if you want to find multipe file extensions, like ext:txt;doc;pdf
- If your foldername contains spaces, it needs to be enclosed in ""
- take a look at the Search Help Page for many more search tricks.
This could be improved, with a second, optional box at the bottom specifically for the path.
This would allow a path auto completion / auto fill as well to type the path faster.
filefilaments

Post by filefilaments »

void wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 am A "locations bar" is on my TODO list.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Thank you very much for the open mind. I often find myself suggesting things for software and bumping against people resistent to change.
If I have your ear,.......

Locations bar could perform auto completion / typing, to reduce time on entering the path
"Normal" bar at the top should not be impacted for existing users, so they aren't forced to switch to a location bar they may not like. This way both parties are happy.

Your best competitor (that's dead... sadly) is this https://imgur.com/a/fusaRWy which you're probably super aware of already - but I personally, find it particularly fast and powerful, specifically fast (to use) not just the code.
I've always been an extremely fast user and averse to mouse, I'm a hotkey guy - but I will say that a single long string box is painful to work with
I'd prefer entering the following for example
*.exe [TAB]
n: [ENTER]
[CTRL-TAB]
[SPACE] 55 [ENTER]
(etc)
(search for all exe files, on N: over 55kb)

I also like "alt-w" which seems to just clear all results and default back to a single window, empty screen with cursor in the prompt ready to search again.

None the less thanks for the hard work.
Last edited by therube on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected imgur link
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

filefilaments wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm a second, optional box at the bottom specifically for the path
Ah .. nòw I get it ..

Off-topic:
I expect my programs to be fast
Beethoven's ninth symphony (that dictated the length/duration of the CD) in 5 minutes? (Sorry, couldn't resist :D )
filefilaments

Post by filefilaments »

Yeah, I mean I hate to compare against Locate32 all the time - but my ability to quickly drill down my search results by hard forcing a path to search within, force max size of the files, min size of files etc.