How could Everything show the content - all files and all the files of the sub folders - with a special name?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

How could Everything show the content - all files and all the files of the sub folders - with a special name?

Post by Biff »

How could Everything show the content - all files and all the files of the sub folders and sub folder of the sub folders, etc. - with a special name?

E.g. show all files of the folders named "Konz" and the files of the sub folders of "Konz" and all the content of their sub folders (in all hierarchies down).

And how could I exclude (the files / content of) one or more folders named "Konz" on special drives or with special paths from the search above?

E.g. the content of folders named "Konz" on drive I: and having the path(s) B:\Konz shall not be shown / found.
NotNull

Re: How could Everything show the content - all files and all the files of the sub folders - with a special name?

Post by NotNull »

I tested this with the "Program Files" folder, as this contains a space

Code: Select all

"\program files\" !<c:\ "\program files">
Reports the content of "T:\Program Files", but not "C:\Program Files" and it's content.

Note the \ after "\program files\". This will cause Everything to report the content of "\program files\", but not the "\program files\" folder itself.

(I hope I understood your question correctly...)
Biff

Re: How could Everything show the content - all files and all the files of the sub folders - with a special name?

Post by Biff »

Many thanks!

So the same search should work here, too, I assume. On C: is Win installed. Almost 10.000.000 items are shown. This is shown:

I assume, I did anything wrong here.
Reports the content of "T:\Program Files", but not "C:\Program Files" and it's content.
Why just the ones of T:? It would not shown all of the contents of all folders named program files besides of the ones on C:?
(I hope I understood your question correctly...)
Well...actually...yes, I do so as well...and I hope, I expressed correctly what I meant.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Translated to your situation:
Biff wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm E.g. show all files of the folders named "Konz" and the files of the sub folders of "Konz" and all the content of their sub folders (in all hierarchies down).

"\Konz\" 

Biff wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm And how could I exclude (the files / content of) one or more folders named "Konz" on special drives or with special paths from the search above?
E.g. the content of folders named "Konz" on drive I: and having the path(s) B:\Konz shall not be shown / found.

"\Konz\" !<B:\ "\Konz">
- or even -

"\Konz\" !B:\
Biff

Post by Biff »

Works very well, thank you.

So this would show all the content of all folders namend Konz on all drives besides of I: and Z:, I assume.

"\Konz\" !<I:\ "\Konz"> !<Z:\ "\Konz">
And if I wanted to exclude only one folder Konz on I: I would have to do it like this(?):

"\Konz\" !<I:\ "\I:\Eigene Dateien\Konz\"> !<Z:\ "\Konz">
Note the \ after "\program files\". This will cause Everything to report the content of "\program files\", but not the "\program files\" folder itself.
Why are the folders shown though for above example?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm And if I wanted to exclude only one folder Konz on I: I would have to do it like this(?):

"\Konz\" !<I:\ "\I:\Eigene Dateien\Konz\"> !<Z:\ "\Konz">
Correct. And somewhat simpler:

"\Konz\"   !"\I:\Eigene Dateien\Konz"   !<Z:\ "\Konz">
Why are the folders shown though for above example?
I do not understand what you mean. What folders are shown that you didn't expect to be shown? (if the foldernames contain sensitive text, replace that with something else).
Biff

Post by Biff »

I do not understand what you mean. What folders are shown that you didn't expect to be shown? (if the foldernames contain sensitive text, replace that with something else).
Very sorry,I did understand a \ behind (program files) Konz would avoid the folders to be shown in (program files) Konz, but it does not seem to be like that. What am I missing?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If you have a folder c:\konz, with in it a file - photo.jpg - ,
- Searching for "\konz" will show you (1) c:\konz and (2) c:\konz\photo.jpg
- Searching for "\konz\" will show you (1) c:\konz\photo.jpg.

That is what I meant with
Biff

Post by Biff »

Very sorry, now I see. The folders named "program files" are not shown, the sub folders of the folders named "program files" are. Sorry again.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No problem!

It *is* hard to explain without examples .. (maybe I should add one for clarity next time)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes, that is a good idea...but your explanations were faultless but my understanding wansn't.

Thank you very much!