Dark Interface/Theme

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
MMK

Dark Interface/Theme

Post by MMK »

I love Everything and use it over 100 times a day as it's so much faster than Windows search. But as I use Windows dark mode, Everything hurts my eyes as it's the only other white application I use other than WinZip.

Would there be any chance in a dark version or at least a way to theme the whole interface dark?

If so it would be very appreciated and my eyes would thank you.

MMK.
MMK

Re: Dark Interface/Theme

Post by MMK »

I saw these before posting and I already have changed the results list colours, but it's not what I asked. I mentioned the WHOLE interface, not just the results list. I don't really want to see any white anywhere, except for the text, but at least I'm not alone in my quest for the darkness.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

In those threads you can also read WHY it isn't implemented (yet) and a way to get a dark interface/theme for Everything - or any other GUI application for that matter - anyhow.
void
Developer

Post by void »

It's not a simple task at the moment.

Currently Everything uses the stock Windows controls. Most of these controls do not support the Dark Theme.

Everything will need to render its own controls, which is planned for the next major version of Everything.
Rene

Post by Rene »

@MMK have you tried f.lux ? https://justgetflux.com/
X_Hunter

Post by X_Hunter »

void wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 am It's not a simple task at the moment.

Currently Everything uses the stock Windows controls. Most of these controls do not support the Dark Theme.

Everything will need to render its own controls, which is planned for the next major version of Everything.
Well, it's practically one year after this was posted. Any news on this?

Windows now uses widely native dark theme so I believe it's not as hard as in the past.

What do you say? I'm really eager for this.

PS: the available workaround is already nice, but native UI dark theme would be awesome!
MMK

Post by MMK »

X_Hunter wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:10 pm
Well, it's practically one year after this was posted. Any news on this?

Windows now uses widely native dark theme so I believe it's not as hard as in the past.

What do you say? I'm really eager for this.

PS: the available workaround is already nice, but native UI dark theme would be awesome!
I agree, I work with a lot of programs and apps and usually well into the night (and darker nights are closing in now too, even the sky has a dark mode), and most aps have dark themes, with the exception of Everything, WinRar/Winzip and NXPower Light Desktop. Many developers have listened to their users and or customers and adopted a dark theme. I'm still a little disappointed that some programs still haven't gone to the dark side. Many IDEs and programming interface tools/libraries (like CodeJock https://codejock.com/) now provide dark theme resources to help you build with a dark theme option.

I'd be willing to donate or pay for a version with a dark theme. Just simply changing the colour of the results pane isn't enough, it has to be the whole interface.
therube

Post by therube »

(The next version of Everything, 1.5, will have a dark theme. [Don't ask when.] So at some point in time...)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

MMK wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 am I'd be willing to donate or pay for a version with a dark theme. Just simply changing the colour of the results pane isn't enough, it has to be the whole interface.
I would suggest to make your donation now instead.
Read this thread for reasons why.
(Or this one for more background and details).
MMK

Post by MMK »

@NotNull / @void Thanks for that, I will donate. Also, someone should maybe set up a Go Fund Me or a Kickstarter/Indegogo Page that might help get the funds needed. I will also offer my services, free of charge, for any Graphic Design work needed for a campaign, the Everything Website or other promotional needs.

Hope this helps.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for your offer to help with graphic design.

I will take you up on your offer once I have a public alpha build (there's still some uncertainty on what icons/graphics Everything will use).
MMK

Post by MMK »

void wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:01 am Thank you for your support.

Thank you for your offer to help with graphic design.

I will take you up on your offer once I have a public alpha build (there's still some uncertainty on what icons/graphics Everything will use).
You're welcome, just drop me a message when you are ready.

Yeah, icons are a pain, they look great when designing them, but as soon as you use them and they are tiny, they can look terrible. We use Axialis IconWorkshop in conjunction with either Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop. But we do have a load of royalty free cool ones that can be used, or we can make new ones.

Anyway, always around if you need anything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

MMK wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:14 am @NotNull / @void Thanks for that, I will donate. Also, someone should maybe set up a Go Fund Me or a Kickstarter/Indegogo Page that might help get the funds needed. I will also offer my services, free of charge, for any Graphic Design work needed for a campaign, the Everything Website or other promotional needs.

Hope this helps.
:thumbsup:
MMK

Post by MMK »

Here's just an example icon. This is just keeping in line with the style you already have. Anyway, just a show of faith to show the kind of work I can do. Hope this helps. P.S. Edited with both Light and Dark themes.

Last edited by MMK on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

O, that is beautiful! Simple, elegant and powerful at the same time. Just like Everything :)
Will be one of the few icons that will do well on a light background as well as on a dark background too (to stay in 'theme' ;)).
MMK

Post by MMK »

NotNull wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:36 pm O, that is beautiful! Simple, elegant and powerful at the same time. Just like Everything :)
Will be one of the few icons that will do well on a light background as well as on a dark background too (to stay in 'theme' ;)).
Thanks a lot. I edited the post above to add a dark theme.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yep, I was right: "Will be one of the few icons that will do well on a light background as well as on a dark background too"

The dark theme looks even better! Very nice!
MMK

Post by MMK »

NotNull wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 pm Yep, I was right: "Will be one of the few icons that will do well on a light background as well as on a dark background too"

The dark theme looks even better! Very nice!
Thanks, I appreciate it.
X_Hunter

Post by X_Hunter »

MMK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am Here's just an example icon. This is just keeping in line with the style you already have. Anyway, just a show of faith to show the kind of work I can do. Hope this helps. P.S. Edited with both Light and Dark themes.

Wow, that's awesome! I love the gradient effects on the overlay of the icon.

I just believe the leg of the magnifier could be slightly larger, because it's looking a bit like a big inverted "Q" letter. Some fonts use it inverted, but anyway, it's a great work already. And my opinion is just a matter of taste, but it's looking great already. Congrats for that. ;)
MMK

Post by MMK »

@X_Hunter

Thanks. I just used the Icon they already have, but this is only an example. I have others that I've been working on, but will show them at a later date, but thanks for your nice comment and feedback.
stax76

Post by stax76 »

Doing my own little open source frontend meanwhile, this is how far I got on the first day:
Attachments
everything-frontend.png
everything-frontend.png (245.88 KiB) Viewed 45058 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Cool!
stax76 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:42 pmopen source
Not yet, as it isn't on your GitHub page ;)
(which contains even more cool stuff ...)
stax76

Post by stax76 »

NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup: :)
stax76

Post by stax76 »

Everything.NET

Everything frontend with dark mode.

v1.1

- Renamed from Everything Frontend to Everything.NET.
- Everything.dll x64 added.
- ESC key closes the app.
- Up key restores the search text from the last session.
- Right-click opens the files native shell context menu.
- F1 key shows the About dialog.

https://github.com/stax76/Everything.NET
d4v1dv00

Post by d4v1dv00 »

Nice work and thank you.

How do I install that? Just overwrite files in the folder of %APP_DATA%\Eveything?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just download the zip (currently Everything.NET-1.2-x64.zip), extract it to some folder and run EverythingNET.exe ?
stax76

Post by stax76 »

It requires the .NET 5.0 Desktop Runtime to be installed.
leo

Post by leo »

Beautiful theme, I'll give it a try for sure!

@Everything developers:
Are you planning to officially add something like this, or even a more minimalistic interface? I'm thinking to something like this, just a search bar with a dynamic dropdown results list, but with the full power of Everything and its shortcuts.
shodan

Post by shodan »

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in, I too would like to make the rest of everything dark !

Here is what mine looks like
https://i.imgur.com/b8oxt64.png

I see this has been discussed for years and stax76 has made an alternative frontend so I'm going to try that

thanks !
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your feedback.

A dark theme is in development.

If you would like to test this now, please try the Everything 1.5 Alpha

I love your icon MMK
MMK

Post by MMK »

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I never got a notification that this thread was updated.

@Void This is fantastic. I just downloaded and installed it, so much better. Great work as always.

Also, feel free to use the icon. I can send you the original files, just let me know.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Mike.

void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback MMK,

Thank you for the graphic and icon files.
These look great!

I have included your icon in the Everything Icon Pack.
MMK

Post by MMK »

@void.

Thank you and you're very welcome. If you need any kind of graphics, now or in the future, please just let me know. I'd be happy to donate my time to help you.

I also, really love the dark theme too. It just looks far better. I use Everything hundreds of times a day, due to having a large library of resources spread out over multiple drives. Everything finds me what I need instantly. Windows Search, not to much,

Thanks again.

Mike.