Everything freezes if search window left open for a period of time

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
dhry

Everything freezes if search window left open for a period of time

Post by dhry »

I've had a problem with Everything (currently using v1.4.1.935 x64) for ages now. Tried multiple different settings including with or without run-as-Administrator, with or without the Service, turning on and off automatically include new fixed volumes, auto remove offline volumes etc. Same issue persists. If I open Everything's search window and then type in a partial filename, it works perfectly. But if I then leave the search window open in the background and go about my normal computing business, at some stage (I assume after files somewhere have been read to/written from one or more of my hard drives), I notice that the Everything process no longer responds and is constantly using 12.5% of my CPU (which is one of my threads in my hyperthreaded quadcore CPU). Window doesn't respond, can't close it, completely dead. I have to endtask the app. When I restart it, it scans all of my existing hard drives and then once again works fine. As long as I remember to close the Everything window after use, program works great, but most of the time I completely forget to do that because I'm working with the file that I found using it. What can I collect and provide to help identify the root cause for this?

-- Dhry
NotNull

Re: Everything freezes if search window left open for a period of time

Post by NotNull »

Is there something shown on the left side of the status bar (*) when Everything freezes? (like scanning .. or updating ..)

(*) You can enable the statusbar through MEnu:View > Sttus Bar
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

Could you please try running Everything with debug logging?
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug_log
  • After Everything appears to hang, could you please make a copy of your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt and send it to support@voidtools.com
therube

Post by therube »

Cause it to happen, then WhatIsHang.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

I'd suspect something injecting itself into the Everything process space.
dhry

Post by dhry »

WhatIsHang output attached.
Attachments
whatishang.zip
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
dhry

Post by dhry »

Everything Debug Log attached.
Edit: unattached again since I just reread the request to send to an email address. Doing so now.

Sorry, just checked in manually for replies tonight, for some reason the site did not email me notifications of new replies to my topic despite me setting that option.

Couldn't tell if there was something in the status bar because I minimized the window, and when hung I can't maximize it again, it's totally dead. I need to endtask it. Actually couldn't even zip the debug log (because it was in use) until I used Unlocker to unlock Everything from using it first.
ronraine

Post by ronraine »

I had a similar problem after installing windows update 1903. Everything scanned my files but shut down before I could enter any search details. After re-installing the 64 bit program I uninstalled it and installed the 32 bit version. Everything is now working properly :D :D :D :D
dhry

Post by dhry »

After re-installing the 64 bit program I uninstalled it and installed the 32 bit version.
This is definitely something I can try, but will using 32-bit on a 64-bit machine prevent Everything from indexing certain things/locations, or does it 1:1 work precisely the same?

In fact I'm actually going to do this right now. Will post results later.

Edit: Aaaand the site still isn't sending me email notifications of replies to this thread. My email address in profile is correct and nothing in spam filter. Hmm.

Edit2: 2 hours in, keyword search in Everything x86 window, minimized it - normally it would have hung a long time ago but we're still live! Looks like the x86 version is working great and the problem is constrained to x64 ver. Hmm. I mean, that's an acceptable fix for me - as long as, like I said above, there's no difference in the search results between x86 and x64. THANK YOU Ronraine!

Edit3: I wanted to be clear, to reproduce this problem you not only have to have the Everything window open but you should also have performed a search and have search results in it. In other words, not an empty window. Then minimize it WITH the search term and results still within it, go about your business, cause files to be written to the drives and whatnot, and see if it hangs.
therube

Post by therube »

Not that I know what I'm looking for, but...

You've got:

AquaSnap
Comodo guard

Volumouse (pretty sure I've got that running too, so I would not suspect that)

PowerPro
Bonjour
Dropbox

in there.
I'd take a look at disabling the first two & see if that makes any difference.
dhry

Post by dhry »

Woot. Forum is finally emailing me with notifications.

I mean, I CAN do this purely for troubleshooting purposes, but I want and need all of that stuff running and won't sacrifice anything permanently to run Everything x64. Disabled Aquasnap already and it didn't help. Comodo needs to be on. I've got ALL of the Comodo features disabled except for firewall. x86 is still working perfectly.

Will test out later but not a fan of this machine not having firewall up.
therube

Post by therube »

not a fan of this machine not having firewall up
Certain don't want to be without firewall.
I would think (hope, actually, so don't hold me to it) that disabling Comodo would cause Windows Firewall to automatically take over?
In any case, you could try, disconnected from the Internet.
dhry

Post by dhry »

To let everyone know, I believe David may have found the root cause for the issue and had distributed a new version to me which did not exhibit the problem at all. Outstanding work!

Dhry
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your help and crash dumps Dhry.

The hang appears to be an issue with rendering negative visible items when updating the status bar due to a file attribute change.
The issue appears to occur when Everything is minimized.

For others, please try Everything 1.4.1.946 or later for a fix.
Boon_in_Oz

Post by Boon_in_Oz »

I am on Version 1.4.1.1005 (x64) and having exactly the problem described above,
with one difference: it happens regardless of whether Everything is minimized or not.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report Boon_in_Oz,

Could you please send a mini crash dump: Privacy
Boon_in_Oz

Post by Boon_in_Oz »

Done. Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the mini crash dump Boon,

The mini crash dump shows Everything updating its database.

Everything can appear frozen for a long time if there is something hammering your file system with changes.
Does Everything eventually recover? (if you leave Everything for ~30mins)

Please try running Everything in debug mode:
    /debug=1
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /restart

Everything will now launch with a debug console.
The next time Everything freezes, please take note of any messages in the debug console.
They should give a good indication to what program might be hammering your file system.

To disable debug mode:
    /debug=0
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /restart

Please try the Everything 1.5 alpha.

This version will not suffer from this freezing as the database is updated in the background.

You can also check what is hammering your file system with the Index Journal (Everything 1.5 -> Index -> Index Journal)