[Solved] Simple curiosity: I'm unable to locate where the Everything.db index is located

General discussion related to "Everything".
Oliverh

[Solved] Simple curiosity: I'm unable to locate where the Everything.db index is located

Post by Oliverh »

Hello!

I discovered Everything quite recently and immediately fell in love with the program, it's allowing great improvements in productivity and, more basically, in computer usage comfort. Damn, does it matter!

Last time I allowed a program to index in real time everything on my computer, windows search included, it was Copernic Desktop Search and I was using windows 2K, it takes me back, now with Windows 10, huhu.

Curious, I wondered how big the index had to be to allow this flawless instant searching that could be refined however much we wanted, so I tried to find the index file created by Everything.

And it's here I found something odd: I am unable to find that Everything.db index file?!?

- https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/indexes/
I can't find Everything.db in the current installation directory, C:\Program Files\Everything , where the executable is located
- No .db either in C:\Users\(my username)\AppData\Roaming\Everything , however the Everything.ini in that location also contained "db_location=C:\Program Files\Everything" - and yet, no, no .db in there as already checked
- I checked the program's options naturally, Tools > Options > Index, it also says it's in C:\Program Files\Everything
However, in C:\Program Files\Everything, there is only Changes.txt, Everything.exe, Everything.ini, Everything.lng, License.txt and Uninstall.exe
- At that point, I told myself I might have missed the obvious, maybe for some reason the .db index file is marked as a system file, so I used another utility that would disregard the hiding of system files, Total Commander. I used TC to search all local drives for Everything.db - and guess what, not a single result :D

And yet here we are, the the program miraculously working flawlessly even though there is no index in sight ;)

I might be misunderstanding something of course, otherwise, would you have an idea about this?
It's certainly no life or death issue, this is mere curiosity. Thanks if someone can help, otherwise no worries, have a fine year 2018 :)
Last edited by Oliverh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Simple curiosity: I'm unable to locate where the Everything.db index is located

Post by therube »

Have you closed Everything?
The .db is not created (or updated to disk) until Everything is closed.
So if you haven't closed it, the .db won't be there until you do.

Have you searched using Everything for "everything .db" ;-)?
Oliverh

Re: Simple curiosity: I'm unable to locate where the Everything.db index is located

Post by Oliverh »

I just checked as you mentioned, closing everything.exe in the windows tasks manager, and making sure the Everything service wasn't running either.

Still no .db file :mrgreen:
therube

Post by therube »

closing everything.exe in the windows tasks manager
That aborts the running of the processes, does not allow Everything to close normally.
Simply quit Everything normally, File | Exit.

The Everything Service can remain running.
Oliverh

Post by Oliverh »

Ah, found it.

Is it the manual closing that made the file appear at last, as you recommended it, therube? Or some other "go figure" thing, no idea.

But, now, the Everything.db file was found.
Not in C:\Program Files\Everything
Not in C:\Users\(my username)\AppData\Roaming\Everything
But in C:\Users\(my username)\AppData\Local\Everything

And when I re-launch the program, the file doesn't disappear and is findable.

Case closed, I guess, thank you :)

Side note: only 74 MB, to index everything I have, it's impressive :D
void
Developer

Re: [Solved] Simple curiosity: I'm unable to locate where the Everything.db index is located

Post by void »

The entire Everything database is stored in memory.

The Everything database is only saved to disk when you exit Everything.

The database location is normally stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
(%APPDATA%\Everything for Everything 1.3)

The database location can be customized from Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Database location.