childfilecount with the specified extensions

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Hjkma

childfilecount with the specified extensions

Post by Hjkma »

The command "childfilecount" is great, allows to quickly find folders with a large number of files. But I would like another such similar command, but with files only with specified extensions. Say I need to find folders with 1000 or more files with the jpg extension (images). Then this command would save more time by immediately finding these folders with many images. Thanks!
therube

Re: childfilecount with the specified extensions

Post by therube »

A bit of a round-about way may give you an approximation of what you want:

childfilecount:99

That will find directories with 99 files.
Select them (highlight them), then Edit|Copy.

That puts the directory names into a filelist: format (well actually it copies to the clipboard, more generally).
You can paste that copy back into Everything, & it will paste as a filelist:

Code: Select all

filelist:"S:\uploads\2017\09|C:\TMP\SEA\browser\omnijar\chrome\comm\content\editor|H:\HEH3|H:\XP43_C\TMP\radtools\setup_7.0.0.180_19.02.2008_03-09\images|H:\SON\SEAGATE\OFFICE\LAR\Documents\Word\CliftonParkPool\PCO's"
Massage that a bit.
Remove the string, filelist:".
Enclose with an opening paren (.
Preface with your wanted file types; ext:gif

Code: Select all

ext:gif  (S:\uploads\2017\09|C:\TMP\SEA\browser\omnijar\chrome\comm\content\editor|H:\HEH3|H:\XP43_C\TMP\radtools\setup_7.0.0.180_19.02.2008_03-09\images|H:\SON\SEAGATE\OFFICE\LAR\Documents\Word\CliftonParkPool\PCO's"
Now that will display gif files found within the source directories (rather then exclusively directories that contain 99 gifs).

Something like that might be close enough, depending on your needs.
Hjkma

Post by Hjkma »

I tried to do all this, but unsuccessfully, through Edit|Copy the program does not copy the selected folders into the text of the filelist format. And after that, when I tried manually to make a text similar to the second code (with the real paths of my folders), the program does not show anything. What version do you use? I am using 1.4.1.877 (x64). Also the program in the Russian localization.

And, as I understood from the description, such a method is not exactly what I need, I need to see only the folders that contain the required number of files, not the files themselves in them. But nevertheless thanks for the advice!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I do like your suggestion. I can see myself using this.

If you want to do it right now, @therube has the right approach, but with a minor difference:

- In Everything, search for "ext:jpg" (without the quotes)
- export the results as an EFU file (TEST.EFU)
- open this TEST.EFU in Everything
- searchquery "childfilecount:>100" will give you all the folders with more than 100 JPG's in them.

Good luck!

EDIT: When you're done: Menu:File > Close File List
Hjkma

Post by Hjkma »

Thank you very much, your advice helped me a lot!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Hjkma wrote:Thank you very much, your advice helped me a lot!
You're welcome! :)