Preferences are constantly being lost!

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
driste

Preferences are constantly being lost!

Post by driste »

My Preferences (Options) are constantly being lost, at least on this one particular machine. I have used Everything for several years. I always use the latest Beta version. Currently using Version 1.4.0.713b (x64). Even when I locate two different versions of everything.ini on the machine, one in C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini and the other in C:\Users\sdh\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini, and DIFF the two to make sure I make them both the correct one, my Preferences do not seem to return. The correct file seems to usually be in %APPDATA%\Everything ... I always make sure Everything is CLOSED whenever I make such changes.

I have Options set to Store settings in %APPDATA%/Everything. If I locate the correct everything.ini that contains my selected Preferences, and copy it to %APPDATA%/Everything or C:\Users\sdh\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini, WHILE EVERYTHING IS CLOSED, and then restart, it still comes up with the default Preferences. What is going on?

If I'm not mistaken, this problem does not occur on my other machine.
void
Developer

Re: Preferences are constantly being lost!

Post by void »

If you open your C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini does the following line exist:
app_data=1
driste

Post by driste »

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for taking so long to get back. C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini DOES have app_data=1 and run_as_admin=1 and nothing else. (BTW I've been having trouble getting the service to install. Windows tells me something like 'cannot install Everything service').

I also checked C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini. App_data= was not found in that file. But Options - General - "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is checkmarked.

Very strange? Please advise, Every time everything's settings are lost, it takes me around 5 minutes to re-customized my Options. Thank you.

P.S. I've decided it's possible that the loss of configuration may be happening upon system crashes, but I don't know this for sure. Will keep an eye on it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Are you using a third party tool that might be clearing files in %APPDATA%?

Please try changing a setting in Everything, completely exiting Everything, restarting Everything and seeing if changes are preserved:
  • Make a change to an option you would like Everything to keep.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Restart Everything
  • Was the option setting preserved?
driste

Post by driste »

Yes, it works fine initially. Settings are maintained after setting them in Options. Usually several days go by before they revert to what is apparently the default installation settings. As far as other applications messing with %APPDATA%, I use Glary Utilities and sometimes CCleaner to delete temp files and clean registry, but this shouldn't affect Everything settings.

I just ran Glary's cleanup now with Everything closed. It didn't affect Everything.ini.

I must admit that I noticed the last time this problem occurred (yesterday) was after a system crash. This happened to be on the system where I don't normally have problems with Everything settings. On the other system, the problem happens much more frequently, like once every week or two.

Conclusion for now: You needn't spend any more time checking on this 'possible bug' until I monitor this further to try to determine if system crashes are the culprit. Perhaps a system crash while Everything is running (I keep it open 98% of the time) corrupts or deletes Everything.ini?

Hmmm, maybe I can test it by shutting down or crashing the system on purpose.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Perhaps a system crash while Everything is running (I keep it open 98% of the time) corrupts or deletes Everything.ini?
Possible, but highly unlikely.
Saving the Everything.ini should be an atomic operation (basically meaning it's a single uninterruptible operation).
Everything settings are first save to Everything.ini.tmp and then renamed to Everything.ini, this renaming is the atomic operation.
You can't end up with a half written ini, Everything will make sure the settings are saved correctly to Everything.ini.tmp before renaming.

Settings are saved to disk when you exit Everything, close an Everything search window, or hit OK/Apply in the Options window.
Any other recent changes will be lost due to a system crash.
driste

Post by driste »

Settings lost again (following a cold shutdown).

I examined my Everything.ini files. They are intact. appdata=1 , yet upon launching, Everything comes up with all the original default settings. Very strange. As before, my only recourse is to spend 5-10 minutes reconfiguring all the options. This is a real waste when I have to do it every few weeks for no apparent cause.

Maybe someone can try to figure out why this happens. Thank you
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

driste wrote:Settings lost again (following a cold shutdown).

I examined my Everything.ini files. They are intact. appdata=1 , yet upon launching, Everything comes up with all the original default settings. Very strange. As before, my only recourse is to spend 5-10 minutes reconfiguring all the options. This is a real waste when I have to do it every few weeks for no apparent cause.

Maybe someone can try to figure out why this happens. Thank you
Why does it take more than a minute to copy back a saved ini ?
This is at least the way to go until you find the problem.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I examined my Everything.ini files. They are intact. appdata=1
Sounds like Everything is failing to load the Everything.ini on startup.

Everything reports the error to the debug log if enabled.
Please try enabling debug logging and send the debug log the next time the issue occurs.
cweinhofer

Post by cweinhofer »

Is there any developments on this? I am having the exact same issue at the OP. Everything has reset itself twice in the last two months.
therube

Post by therube »

Sounds like Everything is failing to load the Everything.ini on startup.
Are you saying the existing Everything.ini would (should) be intact?
void
Developer

Post by void »

If Everything has lost its settings again, could you please:
  • Don't close Everything, keep it running.
  • Please send your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini to support@voidtools.com
http://www.voidtools.com/privacy/
cweinhofer

Post by cweinhofer »

Unfortunately I rebuilt my preferences file after posting this, so I don't know if it would be much good. When the problem crops up again, I will send you the file.
Qlink

Post by Qlink »

any update on this ?
I've the same problem with the actual version on one client ... :(
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe if you describe your situation?
Qlink

Post by Qlink »

nothing special to describe ...

Windows 10 Pro Client in AD environment (User has no admin rights)
settings stored in %APPDATA%
click and next installation with x64 installer (no changes made)

two networkshares are added to everything index through options

Everything has lost its settings 4 times in the last two years...
Happend again today :(

Installed latest version today, maybe this helps...
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the reply Qlink,

Were all settings lost or only some settings?

I suspect your Everything.ini might be corrupt..

If you notice Everything losing settings again, could you please:
  • Keep Everything open.
  • Don't change any settings in Everything.
  • Please send your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini to support@voidtools.com
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Qlink wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:46 am nothing special to describe ...

Windows 10 Pro Client in AD environment (User has no admin rights)
settings stored in %APPDATA%
[...]
Everything has lost its settings 4 times in the last two years...
Another possibility:
You are likely using a roaming profile (profile is stored on the server when you log off and read back again to your local machine when you log on.

This roaming will sometimes fail and you are logged on with a temporary profile. And taht profile dos not include your Everything settings.
If thatwas the case, you should get a message similar to "You are logged on with a temp profile" during logon. Also check the C:\Users folder if you cans spot the temporary profile folder (or check the registry, but this should be sufficient to detect if this wss the issue).