Can Everything show all folders (with same and different names) having the same size (and the same amount of items)?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Can Everything show all folders (with same and different names) having the same size (and the same amount of items)?

Post by Biff »

void
Developer

Re: Can Everything show all folders (with same and different names) having the same size (and the same amount of items)?

Post by void »

With folder size indexing enabled, searching for the following will give you folders with the same size:
folder: sizedupe:

I'll consider adding childcountdupe:, I'm looking into moving away from dupe search functions to duplicated view options for Everything 1.5..
Biff

Re: Can Everything show all folders (with same and different names) having the same size (and the same amount of items)?

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much!

So I guess, this is correct:

The folders sizes are compared by their sizes per bit / byte (like displayed)? So may be 13 kb and 13.01 kb are displayed like 13 kb? 13 kb (106496 bit) would not be the same as 13.01 kb (106577.92 bit)?

OK, duplicated view options sounds good.

Everythings appears still to show the folders not having a duplicate folder by size when I have these settings:
None equal folders:
void
Developer

Post by void »

Use the following search:

Some of your folders may have a . in them and they wont be displayed if you use !*.*
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you!

Are the folder sizes compared up to one bit accurate? Or up to one kb (like displayed) accurate?

When I use these settings there are still shown none equal folders:

Is there a way to only show equal folders?
void
Developer

Post by void »

sizedupe compares sizes to the byte.
When I use these settings there are still shown none equal folders:
dupesize: matches dupes in the entire index, not the current results.

The !H: will be hiding some results.

If you wish to find folder size dupes without your h: drive:
  • In Everything, search for !h:
  • From the File menu, click Export....
  • Change save as type to EFU Everything File list.
  • Choose a file name and click Save.
  • Open this file list and type in the following search:
Biff

Post by Biff »

dupesize: and sizedupe is the same, I assume.
The !H: will be hiding some results.
Yes, the ones of drive H: (for back up only), I hope, that is intended.
If you wish to find folder size dupes without your h: drive:

In Everything, search for !h:
From the File menu, click Export....
Change save as type to EFU Everything File list.
Choose a file name and click Save.
Open this file list and type in the following search:
Thanky you. Parent folders containing no item besides of a sub folder have the same sizes as the lowest sub folder (containing items) obviously. Is there a manner to only show the folder containing those items?

Can Everything use a different color when a file list is open (to remember it is not the list shown of the current plugged in drives)?
Last edited by Biff on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

sizedupe compares sizes to the byte.
dupesize: matches dupes in the entire index, not the current results.
Are sizedupe: / dupesize: synonyms (with sizedupe: being the documented one)?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanky you. Parent folders containing no item besides of a sub folder have the same sizes as the lowest sub folder (containing items) obviously. Is there a manner to only show the folder containing those items?
Currently no, maybe an option to search the immediate folder size (only the size of files directly in the folder, not files in subfolders) is needed.
Can Everything use a different color when a file list is open (to remember it is not the list shown of the current plugged in drives)?
Custom colors for files lists is on my TODO list.
dupesize: and sizedupe is the same, I assume.
Are sizedupe: / dupesize: synonyms (with sizedupe: being the documented one)?
Yes they are the same.
therube

Post by therube »

Parent folders containing no item besides of a sub folder have the same sizes as the lowest sub folder
Correct.
a manner to only show the folder containing those items?
If you add !childfilecount:0 into the mix (it still won't be "right", but), you could (visually) look down the list & any directories showing with the same size would be the ones you're after, mostly (as a parent with no files but only multiple child subdirectories is also listed).
Biff

Post by Biff »

Alright, many thanks again.

a manner to only show the folder containing those items?

If you add !childfilecount:0 into the mix (it still won't be "right", but), you could (visually) look down the list & any directories showing with the same size would be the ones you're after, mostly (as a parent with no files but only multiple child subdirectories is also listed).
So, if I did it right, with these settings I have this result:

Is it like like it should be?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I expected (unexperienced as I am and without deeper knowledge) that it could be queried in one run by using grouping, like this:

Code: Select all

sizedupe: <folder: !H:>
But it didn't return the expected results.

In what order are the operators parsed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Inside < > brackets first, NOT, then OR and finally AND, left to right.

sizedupe: <folder: !H:>
In this case, sizedupe: if first, followed by folder:, followed by !h:

If you searched for:
folder: !h: sizedupe:
The order of execution would be:
folder: !h: sizedupe:

However, sizedupe: finds duplicated filenames in the ENTIRE index, not the current results.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote:Inside < > brackets first, NOT, then OR and finally AND, left to right.

However, sizedupe: finds duplicated filenames in the ENTIRE index, not the current results.
Missed that last one (although you said it earlier, but it hadn't sunk in).

Thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

I've concluded there is no easy way to do this ;-).

Lots of "dups" & in fact there are, as I have the same directories mirrored on different drives.

Psychodelic is one.

Note that software.msdnaa.net & ELMS are NOT dups.
Only a parent/child (folder) issue there.

Here I've filtered out the M: drive.
Note that Psychodelic is still listed. That is expected, as noted above.

This just happens to be a weird one.
Diverse sets of data, may or may not be alike, some certainly not alike, that happen to have the same size.
GAC_MSIL is weird yet again. Parent directory (trap) applies. I don't think these are hardlinks, & when in the directory, can't even get a right-click context menu of the file (on XP no less). Odd. (Wonder if its not some virtualized structure?)

Some gobbledygook

Code: Select all

%s/.*",//
cut -d= -f 1 infile > outfile
cut -d, -f 1 infile > nameonly
paste outfile nameonly  > sizeisnowfirstfield
sort -t, -n -k 1,1 -u sizeisnowfirstfield > size-unique ; does not return relevant results

Note that physcholic is spelled incorrectly ;-).
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much.

I am not quite sure, ooks very compicated.

What do I have to do now? And what for is the code? Where do I have to add it?