Add an efu list while the external drive is plugged off?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Add an efu list while the external drive is plugged off?

Post by Biff »

Can one add an efu list for an external drive while the external drive is plugged off:

And is there a way to do the same with folders:
NotNull

Re: Add an efu list while the external drive is plugged off?

Post by NotNull »

I don't think you can with the Options GUI. The OpenFile /OpenFolder dialog box just can't open files/folders that aren't there.
What you could do, though is edit the Everything.ini file (close Everything first, otherwise the content of the INI file will be overwritten.
When you start Everything again, you will see the new settings in the GUI.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Can one add an efu list for an external drive while the external drive is plugged off
I'm not sure what you want to do here, do you want to create a file list of your external drive when it is not plugged in?!
You'll have to make the file list when the external drive is plugged in.

When a change is made to a file list that is included in the Everything index, it is automatically reloaded.
And is there a way to do the same with folders
The external drive can only be added when it is online.
If the external drive is removed, the volume will continue to stay in the Everything index.

If you make a change to the volume on another computer and then plug it back in, Everything will not detect these changes.
These changes will only be picked up at the next scheduled rescan or manual rescan.

I would need to add an option 'rescan on drive insertion'.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I don't think you can with the Options GUI. The OpenFile /OpenFolder dialog box just can't open files/folders that aren't there.
I had hoped just create a new file with efu extension and add it to the "File lists" would work.
What you could do, though is edit the Everything.ini file
And add some of those lines with the paths, I assume:
filelists="
I'm not sure what you want to do here, do you want to create a file list of your external drive when it is not plugged in?!
No. I would add some lists / files to "File lists" and the next time I plug in one of the drives I only would have to update the file lists (before I read the postings of the other thread I thought those lists would be updated automatically, so now it is not that useful anymore, but it would be good anyway).
You'll have to make the file list when the external drive is plugged in.
Alright, I will do so.
If you make a change to the volume on another computer and then plug it back in, Everything will not detect these changes.
These changes will only be picked up at the next scheduled rescan or manual rescan.
So it is not the attributes causing Everything to do a scan like I mentioned in the other thread.