Opening SolidWorks files directly from Everything

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ABT

Opening SolidWorks files directly from Everything

Post by ABT »

This program has already shaved hours off of every week searching through archives going back to the '90s, but I have not been able to get past this odd quirk; for some reason I cannot open Solidworks (.sldprt, .slddrw, etc.) files directly through the Everything search window. As a stop-gap I have been right-clicking and opening the file path, then double-clicking the file in Explorer to open it normally. Even consciously closing them as I use them I end with an enormous list of open Explorer windows by the end of every day. It's weird to me, since Everything seems to act like an explorer window in every other situation and for all the different programs I use.

Has anyone else experience something similar? Is there some odd interaction between the Solidworks launcher and something that Everything does differently from Explorer?
therube

Re: Opening SolidWorks files directly from Everything

Post by therube »

I cannot open Solidworks (.sldprt, .slddrw, etc.) files directly through the Everything search window.
What does happen when you try?
What version of Everything, & is it 32 or 64-bit?
ABT

Post by ABT »

What does happen when you try?
What version of Everything, & is it 32 or 64-bit?
Oh right, more details. I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, and Everything Version 1.3.4.686 (x64). Right now when Solidworks is open and I try to open a file through Everything the little swirly icon shows up attached to the mouse for a moment and nothing else happens. If Solidworks isn't open, the program starts and the file opens as normal.

That's why I assumed it was launcher related, I think Everything is trying to open a new instance of the program and failing on an error message or something, instead of opening the file into the current instance like Explorer would.

Having played with it a bit just now, if I start Solidworks by opening a file through everything, then the same behaviour spreads to Explorer and I now can't open another file without physically dragging and dropping it into Solidworks or opening it through the Open dialogue in the program itself.

---

In the process of trying to explain the problem I think I might have fixed it. Turns out all my Solidworks type files are pointed to open the Solidworks Launcher by default, rather than the actual Solidworks 2016 program. Now that I've gone through and changed the default program it seems to be working through Everything! I suppose Everything opens all files with their default program, while Explorer does something similar but different.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything uses the default verb, while Explorer does things very differently..

I'm trying to replicate how Windows Explorer works with Everything 817b.

Basically 817b will try to open the file with the "open" verb (if it exists), if it doesn't it will try the default verb, instead of just trying the default verb.