Things to do (TODO)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therube

Re: Things to do

Post by therube »

implement flexible columns that change with the window width ala HDDB
+1,001%
Some sort of auto-column-width adjustment would be nice.
http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2951#p2951

> An optional history menu

Atl-back-arrow, Alt+right-arrow, kind of does it.
Search bar dropdown, kind of does it.
Everything | Options |History, kind of does it.
Specular

Post by Specular »

therube wrote:Atl-back-arrow, Alt+right-arrow, kind of does it.
Search bar dropdown, kind of does it.
Everything | Options |History, kind of does it.
Didn't see the History setting before, nice. The Alt+Arrow key was kinda flaky though, as it doesn't seem to return me to the current search when navigating forward (perhaps it doesn't save the current search immediately or something).

Opera (Presto version) also had an immensely useful typed addresses/search history. Especially handy for custom keyword searches (eg: y mad max trailer), something other browsers still lack.

Being able to delete history items would be a good addition to Everything's drop-down, as some searches can be mistyped but still display. In the above Opera screenshot it was possible to delete items with the 'x' icon. Not sure if it's possible, but putting it out there ;)
therube

Post by therube »

Being able to delete history items would be a good addition to Everything's drop-down
Arrow-key down, DEL (similar to what you can do with FF's awesomebar).
Specular

Post by Specular »

therube wrote:Arrow-key down, DEL (similar to what you can do with FF's awesomebar).
Thanks. Is this documented anywhere? Found the Search History page in the docs but it doesn't mention these features.
Documentation wrote:How do I add a search to the search history?

Press Enter from the search edit or perform an action on a result.
This may explain why some queries aren't being saved when navigating foward/back in results - I haven't pressed Enter or performed any actions yet.

Btw is there some RSS feed for the forum? It would be convenient for update notifications.
Specular

Post by Specular »

Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed history drop-down entries aren't displayed from last typed. In fact I'm not sure what order they are arranged in at all.

The screenshot below shows the very last typed history result highlighted:

therube

Post by therube »

It's ordered by Search Count.
Search Everything for 'Search History.csv" ;-).
Specular

Post by Specular »

therube wrote:It's ordered by Search Count.
Ah, cheers. For me that's much less useful than chronological order like the Opera example above. Would be nice to have an option in the settings (or config ini) to alter this.
RetiredEngineer

Post by RetiredEngineer »

therube wrote:> full row selection will be nice ...
When I examine multiple columns in Everything-1.3.4.686.x64, and find the datum I'm looking for in a column far separated from the Name column (usually it's the leftmost), then I want to immediately click on that datum and get the same results as if I had moved the cursor all the way left to the Name column and clicked there. Often I find I've skipped up or down a line or two and clicked the wrong Name line number.

If this feature is already in Everything-1.3.4.686.x64, then please direct me to it. If not, when I see a commitment from "therube" (David Carpenter?) to implement this straight-forward feature, I will be more than happy to donate a fair shareware payment.
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

I apologize for the previous post.

Two suggestions / requests:

1) Implement the historical / chronological history described by specular. At least as an option; it's far more intuitive and customary.

2) I'd like to be able to set a font color for zero-length files. Actually I'd like to gray them out.

Thanks
LaserDolphin

Post by LaserDolphin »

Damn what for List :shock:
This is actually the best Finder i know...the most possibilities, fast, actual, and a fast support too...*thumbs up" all in one...
ry4nStL

Post by ry4nStL »

24213123.) allow keyboard shortcut for different views (thumbnail sizes, detail, etc) and previewer on/off.
24213124.) floating previewer and/or quickviewer
gdv

Post by gdv »

Specular wrote:
therube wrote:It's ordered by Search Count.
Ah, cheers. For me that's much less useful than chronological order like the Opera example above. Would be nice to have an option in the settings (or config ini) to alter this.
Arbie wrote:1) Implement the historical / chronological history described by specular. At least as an option; it's far more intuitive and customary.
FYI, this now appears to be available as of v1.4.0.713b (Nov. 24, 2015). Specifically, both Search Suggestions and the drop-down Search History (via clicking on the triangle dropdown button) can now be sorted alphabetically or recent-first (instead of the default sort by search count) by manually editing the default value for the "search_history_sort_results=1" line (new in v1.4.0.713b) in Everything.ini as follows (exit Everything before editing the Everything.ini file):

search_history_sort_results=0 (alphabetical)
search_history_sort_results=1 (search count) (default)
search_history_sort_results=2 (recent first)

AFAICT, this doesn't yet seem to be documented anywhere (even in the changelog or forum), but I'm really glad to see it. (Thanks, David!!! :D )

(It would be nice to have the setting included on the Options GUI so it could be changed on the fly. I guess it would go on the Options > History tab below "Always show search suggestions.")
Silence

Post by Silence »

No one reply me, I have made a new topic :(
staqUUR

Post by staqUUR »

Hi.

May I suggest that the remote accesses be secure? (i.e. https/ftps instead of http/ftp)
Or at least, add an option to use the secure protocols.
If the capacity to do so is there, I could not find it.

Thanks,
staqUUR
faroe2k9

Post by faroe2k9 »

:arrow: FEATURE REQUEST

SHOW extension of file with a big font above the image

PLEASE MADE THIS POSSIBLE!!

I LOVE this Everything program! I recommend to all my Windows friends. This program is SO awesome and fast. I have saved countless hours of finding files - even though I have a strict policy of where to save my files.
Last edited by void on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed broken image link
therube

Post by therube »

(Mentioned here too, Show extension more clearly. Heh. That was dumb of me to not notice it was the same person. You should have just bumped your original thread.)
Terka

Post by Terka »

Hi, everything is great piece of sw.
if i can suggest, im missing easy duplicate function that is able to exclude backups by doing following logic on dupes:

file is not dupe when last dirs in path are same:

s:\dir\dir\DIR\file.extension
c:\dirxx\dirxxy\DIR\file.extension

is everything currently capable of such functionality?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is everything currently capable of such functionality?
No such current functionality, you could try searching for:
dupe:

dupe: will find files with the same name.

You've given me some ideas for a regex search over all the filenames, not just each single filename, making something like this possible.
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

Every-Body loves EveryThing ;)

What I can't find (or is missing) is a way to specify a filter programmatically. In particular, I would like to open the program using specifically the (implicit) filter "All Files", without setting the default filter used when I open Everything later.

Example: I have a Filter named NoLnkOrHist that I use almost exclusively and 'never' want to change permanently.
I wrote a simple "ElseWhere.Cmd" (I made it available via "FileMenu Tools" on right click of any selected file).
I would like to extend that Cmd so it finds that file using the filter "WithHistory" (that is, the predecessors) for just this call.

I tried to do that via a bookmark, but I can not specify a filter "All Files" .

Hope I'm not just being daft for not looking correctly :oops:

Thanks forever for Everything, Rolf
jams

Post by jams »

Hi,

I noticed searching for image by width or height is quite slow. Could it be possible to have an option to index those info ? If so it should be possible to enable indexing from IPC api. What would be the trade-off if enabling such an index?

Thanks !
eswul62

Post by eswul62 »

void wrote:
Is everything currently capable of such functionality?
No such current functionality, you could try searching for:
dupe:

dupe: will find files with the same name.

You've given me some ideas for a regex search over all the filenames, not just each single filename, making something like this possible.
what about... just:
X: dupe: dmdupe: sizedupe:

x=driveletter
assume this come (very) close to finding duplicates?

just my 2cts
=
later:
or, alternatively,
X: dupe: dmdupe: sizedupe: dcdupe: dadupe:
dm=date modified
dc=date created
da=date accessed
-
Rene

Post by Rene »

Hello David,

can you please add this to the todo list: http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 319#p16247

thank you
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

void wrote: The Everything.ini is automatically generated. Any changes made to the Everything.ini while Everything is running are lost when Everything exits.
Please exit "Everything" before making changes to the Everything.ini file.
To exit Everything:
Right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit.
Nice option to be done is menu command in File menu to reopen the Everything to avoid opening it manually after having it closed.
Last edited by void on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed broken image link
void
Developer

Post by void »

Updated TODO list.
vinayakkuradia

Post by vinayakkuradia »

Hello, Can you please add Dark Mode Feature in Everything. Currently I have to change color for every state in option, even after this the title bar remains white, even when my windows is in dark mode. So please add theme feature, with dark mode, as all modern apps and websites are going for dark modes. Thank You.
Unknow0059

Post by Unknow0059 »

I was gonna suggest the Browse Folder dialog to be modernized because it's inconvenient, but it's in the ToDo list in the form of:
"Replace Browse For Folder with IFileOpenDialog and FOS_PICKFOLDERS"
I am commenting to say that I'd like this change to be implemented.
jo29

Post by jo29 »

+1 for:
volume name as a column option
store drive label in database, add a column for it, good for offline volumes.
For me, a column With drive letter "C:" etc.

If there are many requests for particular columns, why not allow custom columns based on any supported parameter?

Anyway, good job on the software!
void
Developer

Re: Things to do (TODO)

Post by void »

Progress is being made on these things to do in Everything 1.5