Problems after running disk cleaners - What to do?!

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Ghopper

Problems after running disk cleaners - What to do?!

Post by Ghopper »

Hi,

I've been using Everything for years and it's utterly indispensable - one of the best programs in the history of programming. Which makes the problems I've caused all the worse.

I just ran 3 disk cleanup programs: CCleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner 8, and Glary Utilities Disk Cleanup.

Doing so seems to have wreaked havoc with the operation of Everything. It still runs and indexes, but:

1) I used to be able to search for a file by entering the file type (for example .pdf or .doc) along with additional words (e.g. "to do"), but this no longer works. It will retrieve files based on the file type (e.g. .pdf) but when I add another search term, essentially no files are found (strangely, some files are found, e.g. 5 out of 1000 that exist).

2) I have a number of files named, e.g. ___ $%. I named them this so that I can just enter $% into Everything and quickly find them. But now this no longer works.

I've re-started the computer, forced the Everything index to rebuild, checked all the Everything settings to make sure nothing had been changed, but the problems persist.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks -
Ghopper

Re: Problems after running disk cleaners - What to do?!

Post by Ghopper »

I re-installed the program and it fixed itself. Thanks

Maybe someone might know the answer to another question: Before running the disk cleaners, I simultaneously used both the 64bit and the 32bit versions of Everything on a routine basis. It was nice because you can set each version to use a different background color, so you can easily discern which is being used for what. After reinstalling both the 64 and 32 bit versions, I can only get one of them to run at a time (when I try to run the second when the first is already running, it simply opens a new instance of the already-running version).

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
therube

Re: Problems after running disk cleaners - What to do?!

Post by therube »

> 1) I used to be able to search for a file by entering the file type
> 2) I have a number of files named, e.g. ___ $%

I'd suspect you inadvertently enabled Regex (in Search)

> simultaneously used both the 64bit and the 32bit versions of Everything

I'd think you need to use -instance switch for one or both?