sort-by-date always snaps back to sort-by-name

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
violetvoid

sort-by-date always snaps back to sort-by-name

Post by violetvoid »

Hello,
I want Everything to always sort by "Date Modified (Desc.)". I have set this in Options, Home; and in Menu, View, Sort. Still, Everything always snaps back to "Name" as the sorted column, as soon as I enter new text in the search field. Why is this so?
Thank you.
v
salazor

Re: sort-by-date always snaps back to sort-by-name

Post by salazor »

Code: Select all

always_keep_sort=1
Add this to .ini and will be ok, but you know that it Everything does not index "Date Modified" and sorting will take a long time.
violetvoid

Post by violetvoid »

Thank you a lot, I did not know there were additional .ini options.
For my purposes (30.000 files), sorting seems to be reasonably fast (a couple of seconds sorting all 30,000, on an old Atom (2009) notebook with and old (2009) SSD, with "*" and "Everything" shown in the results, i.e. all 30k).
However what I did not like was that no hour glass or similar was shown in the center of the screen during the wait period. I don't like it when I am not informed that a process has not been finished yet. Perhaps this could be improved :-)
I have also assigned shortcuts in the meantime, to sort by date.
I also believe the feature is sufficiently important that it should be present in the options menu, perhaps with a warning that it will have to first fetch the data and that might take a while.
salazor

Post by salazor »

violetvoid wrote:Thank you a lot, I did not know there were additional .ini options.
Look here, you will learn more about Everything.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Can't this behaviour be improved?
1. A way to inform the user about this special behviour.
2. Why any change in Search does reset the sort to by name? If the user keeps writing in Search and the number of results is decreasing, it should remain sorted by the user preference.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Maybe something like this:

A lot of things could be improved with these types of messages, but they might be annoying to some..
2. Why any change in Search does reset the sort to by name? If the user keeps writing in Search and the number of results is decreasing, it should remain sorted by the user preference.
Everything doesn't work like that, when you perform a search, it is not a search on your current results, it is always a new search on the entire database.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

A lot of things could be improved with these types of messages, but they might be annoying to some..
This nice example is approvment message. But if the example was a message that appears briefly, maybe it was less annoying.
BTW, for this type of messages I think placing the messages on top will be much better. (it closer to the SearchBox where the user eyes are looking while typing). Yellow color also be considered.
http://media.askvg.com/articles/images6 ... Chrome.png
http://www.psers.pa.gov/Interaction/Pub ... rarrow.jpg
https://i.stack.imgur.com/34d2L.png
Everything doesn't work like that, when you perform a search, it is not a search on your current results, it is always a new search on the entire database.
I can understand that. But why not to change this behavior? For example, to hide results till the sort accomplished [sorting...]. I'm not sure the current behavior is better.

Edit:
I tried
always_keep_sort=1
Now that we have Fast Sort in Options, I think always_keep_sort=1 should be the default.
Just need to improve the noticeability of "querying..." message. Because it's currently at status bar, it's far from user eyes and not noticeable when typing.
Also, if in version 1.5 is planned that the user will be able to cancel the "querying...", it won't be a problem to the user to cancel the current action and sort by Name manually.
Last edited by Stamimail on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggie

Post by froggie »

void wrote: A lot of things could be improved with these types of messages, but they might be annoying to some..

How about "enable" "cancel" "do not show this prompt again" with an associated ini preference for each type of prompt.