rc:today displays incorrect results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
AndyS01

rc:today displays incorrect results

Post by AndyS01 »

I wanted to see certain files that were changed today, so I entered "rc:today *.txt" and I saw some files that did not have today's date. (I tried just "rc:today" and that also showed results for files changed before today.)

I'm running v1.3.4.686 (x86)

I'd send you a screen shot, but I don't now how to include it in this topic.

BTW: I wished that your product was called something other than "Everything". Doing a Google search for "Everything" returns millions of results :shock:
froggie

Re: rc:today displays incorrect results

Post by froggie »

After some experimenting:

dm:today *.txt will show files and folders that have been altered in content today (their "date modified" field has been changed)

rc:today *.txt will show USN journal entries for today. Included here are moves, copies and renames that do not change the "date modified" field or the
contents of the files or folders.
Excluded here are some changes to the contents of folders that do change the "date modified" field but do not appear to add USN journal
records. The date modified field may not be updated until the view is refreshed.

You may want to use "dm" instead of "rc", even though "dm" is much slower.
AndyS01

Post by AndyS01 »

Actually, my complaint is that the results were showing files older than today. dm:today worked, but took better than 5 minutes! The second time (after using rc:today) it was quick, though.

I have 1,392,064 objects - should dm take that long? If so, is there a way to force the first dm at boot time?

Also, when specifying rc:today or dc:today, I see files that have old Date Accessed and Date Created timestamps, but with today's date in the Date Modified field. I'm not sure how a file could have a Date Accessed that is several months ago, but have a Date Modified with today's date.

example:
rc:today toolbar

Code: Select all

Name               Size   Path             Date Modified       Date Accessed     Date Created
CustomizeToolbar.dat  1kb  C:\plugins\config  3/19/2015 10:43 am  6/6/2014 4:02 PM  6/6/2014 4:02 PM
froggie

Post by froggie »

I do not know what Windows version you are on, but date accessed is turned off by default on Windows 7 for performance reasons.
See
http://superuser.com/questions/251263/t ... -windows-7.
You can also do a Google search for more information. It does get updated sometimes, but I have not found a description of how that works.
salazor

Post by salazor »

Turn on the column "date recently changed", right click on the column header and see that Everything works fine, according to that column runs the command rc:today.