Labels/Tags, Do you think Everything can do something?

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
Stamimail

Labels/Tags, Do you think Everything can do something?

Post by Stamimail »

quoted from: https://qttabbar.backlog.jp/view/Q-518
Hi Quizo

You probably know this feature in Gmail, where we can add labels to messages. The same way we can import this feature to Explorer so that we could add labels to folders and files.
We will able to choose the label and to copy/move and paste all files/folders labeled.

There is such function in W7, but only for Folders called Libraries.
My request is to enable this also to files.

Thank You,
Stamimail
Last edited by Stamimail on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Labels/Tags, Do you think Everything can do something?

Post by therube »

(whatever you were showing, you need a login for)
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Sorry. The link is just the Source, from which I quoted. I've full quoted, so there is no need to open the link.
Anyway, who is new to qttabbar, and want to see the Source, the Login is:
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

therube wrote:(whatever you were showing, you need a login for)
Is the question clear?
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

?
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

From your point of view:
I want to know, theoretically, Is this feature belongs to Everything or to QTTabBar? Which of them will be easier to be implemented?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Depends where the labels / tags are stored.

Currently, Everything only indexes filenames.
You would have to use labels / tags in the filename.

I would consider labels / tags stored in a named data stream as file content.
Indexing file contents is not something I really want to add to Everything as it would be slow to index and maintain.
Also, named data streams are not supported in ReFS.

As for other methods for storing labels / tags there is no standard and would be difficult to support.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I think I realize now the problem. I guess you have tried to say, in order that labels / tags will be implemented and work in the right way, they should be stored in the file itself. But the problem is that many types of files do not support it.
Well, if we cannot get the desired feature of labels / tags, I would suggest another idea, although I do not know how useful it will be.

Temp Labels / Tags / Comments
Work similar to Run Count (where Run Count is stored?).
There will be another column in Result list. The user will be able to add for each folder/file his labels/tags/comments, and will be able to search for them from the search box.
Those labels/tags/comments are temporary, and will be deleted when the folder/file FullPath is changed.
The way of adding and searching those labels/tags/comments, is for further discussion.
WernerR

Post by WernerR »

Love Everything. Searched for, researched and tried several search and tagging solutions. Everything is best for all the reasons listed on website homepage. I love the small footprint, very fast indexing (I actually wondered if it built an index because I could start searching immediately!). Allowing search in file names and folder names, and finding files in folder names that match the search term even though file name itself does not match the search term is powerful; actually the different search options and syntax I think is unmatched - very powerful. Especially with the addition in latest release of searching in file content (it does not bother me at all that you have to first narrow down the search scope via file name search - works perfectly for me)
Only addition I would love is searching for file tags, hence my post in this thread.
I was wondering if an option would not be to use the standard windows file "tag" field. Standard tag just available for office files by default at the moment (due to complexities yet unsolved by microsoft - read full story here: https://filemeta.codeplex.com/). Just being able to search based on tags for office files would already meet most windows user's need I guess (might be very wrong). However, there is another cool utility called "File Meta" (see previous link) which allows the "tags" property of other file types to be opened up (not added - just opening up what is already available in windows through registry edit). So within the limitations as explained on the File Meta website, this could be a practical solution for NTFS file systems in that file itself carries the tag and can thus be moved etc. without losing tag... I.e. using the standard file property available in windows.
What do you think..?
So instead of having a tag somewhere in an "Everything" database that poses problems when files move, or are emailed, or shared via cloud service, or when PC or laptop is replaced or crashes or is backed up somewhere, use the standard "tag" property already available in the windows files, which would allow the tags to be indexed as part of normal indexing. Together with a reference to File Meta for people who want to tag other file types than what windows currently give access to. This would at least solve the "searching based on tags" challenge.
I am still searching for a tool that would make it easier to actually tag files and keep track of the tag names in use by me. Tabbles is a good tool for this, but I had some issues on my laptop that made it less ideal for my use. Still considering to use it just to "mass assign tags" via the "tag rule builder" functionality they provide (if I can find an effective tool for searching the tags). So far nothing beats Everything when it comes to raw searching power, even without the ability to search tags.
Thanks for considering this and for any thoughtful replies.
regios

Post by regios »

We can already put tags in the filenames manually and use Everything to search for the tags. One great open source tool for quick filename tagging, and more, is https://www.tagspaces.org/ .