Crash with Samsung NVMe SSD drives

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
kavika

Crash with Samsung NVMe SSD drives

Post by kavika »

I've had this happen on a few different computer now over the last few years, all with Samsung SSD models, and I keep forgetting to report it.
If you install and run Everything (at least, the version bundled with Wox - http://www.wox.one/) on a Samsung SSD drive, then Windows 10 will crash/BSOD.

It happens intermittently. You could start up the computer, log in, then it happens immediately. Or it can happen after running for 5-10 minutes. I suspect some specific program behavior is what is triggering it, and I am guessing that behavior doesn't always run.

I had a clean (1 week old) Windows 10 installation with a non-Samsung SSD drive (Sabrent Rocket), and I didn't have this problem. I am about 50% sure I was running Everything on there as well and hadn't uninstalled it or skipped installing it along with Wox. When I reinstalled Windows again with the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB SSD, everything was fine until I installed Wox.

I at first thought this problem was because I installed Samsung Magician, or their "NVM 3.3" drivers, but I continued to get bluescreens after uninstalling both of those.

It was only when I uninstalled the version of Everything installed by Wox that the problem went away. I reinstalled Magician and the NVM drivers after that, and had no more problems.

Since I've had no problems for a day since I uninstalled Everything (with this SSD), and before that I had more than a week of system stability when running the computer 24/7 and doing both gaming and full time programming work on the computer (with the other SSD), I do not think this is a hardware stability issue. I have also ran some hardware stress tests since uninstalling Everything (OCCT, Prime 95, FurMark, etc), and am not seeing any heat or power related stability issues. So I'm pretty sure this program is the culprit.

I imagine I could probably turn off automatic file monitoring for indexing and work around this problem. I have seen other posts that say as much. Not sure which exact setting that is, but if you want me to try it I could. Otherwise I'm just going to leave this program uninstalled (since I mostly use Wox as a calculator/start menu replacement).

I could also try a version of Everything that I get from here at some point (instead of the Wox-bundled one). If I do, I'll reply and let you know if that helps.
void
Developer

Re: Crash with Samsung NVMe SSD drives

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

What version of Everything is causing the problem? (Help -> About Everything)

Please try the latest build of Everything (version 968 or later).
kavika

Re: Crash with Samsung NVMe SSD drives

Post by kavika »

Wow, my bad.

Using an XMP RAM profile was the real cause. I thought I had only made one hardware change (the new SSD), but I forgot that I switched on XMP while I was in the BIOS. I had thought the setting "was suggested by the manufacturer, so should be perfectly stable". Got educated on that the hard way.
Fortunately I had a friend who knew what they were doing. Now I know to check QVLs (which I had already done) and update the BIOS (which I hadn't). XMP is now stable.

I've made this mistake on multiple computers now :oops: You live, you learn.

Re-installed Everything (and other drivers I started suspecting after this post) and it has been running stable for the last 48 hours, causing no problems.

Consider this bug closed!