Doesn't locate the file 'sysmain.sdb' in C:\Windows\apppatch

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
paronym

Doesn't locate the file 'sysmain.sdb' in C:\Windows\apppatch

Post by paronym »

Is there a limitation on which folders Everything can search?

I've just encountered an example where the file I was looking for couldn't be located by Everything. I was looking for the file called 'sysmain.sdb' which is inside the folder C:\Windows\apppatch

In Everything, when I entered sysmain as the search term, it only found several instances of sysmain.sdb in folders beneath C:\Windows\WinSxS

Should Everything have been able to find C:\Windows\apppatch\sysmain.sdb ?

I'm using Everything v1.4.1.969 on the latest official version of Windows 10 at the time of posting (version 2004 Build 19041.264)
horst.epp

Re: Doesn't locate the file 'sysmain.sdb' in C:\Windows\apppatch

Post by horst.epp »

No problem here to find this file and all other places of it with Everything Version 1.4.1.983 (x64)
under Windows 10 x64 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264)
paronym

Post by paronym »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:35 pm No problem here to find this file and all other places of it with Everything Version 1.4.1.983 (x64)
under Windows 10 x64 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264)
Thanks, but I'm not sure that helps explain why my instance of Everything can't find it. Also, I've not heard of version 1.4.1.983 -- presumably that's a beta? I'm running the latest official version, 1.4.1.969, as mentioned in my initial post.

Anyway, some more information from my side: I'm running Everything as a service (which says in the tooltip for that option that doing so allows all users to index all filenames on NTFS volumes). Pretty much all other options are set to default, as far as I'm aware.

So it's not clear why my search fails to find that file.
paronym

Post by paronym »

I've tried clicking on 'Force Rebuild', and now it is found.

But I wonder why that was necessary. I have Everything start automatically with Windows, that file is a part of Windows and so has been there for ages, and Everything runs constantly as a service.

I also though Everything automatically keeps up to date with everything on every volume. So it's a mystery to me how it somehow didn't know about the existence of that file in that location.

Previously I thought Everything was reliable in looking after itself and keeping itself up to date, but maybe it is necessary to periodically do a 'Force Rebuild'?
therube

Post by therube »

See if this applies (hardlink), Bug or feature?
Last edited by void on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
paronym

Post by paronym »

therube wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm See if this applies (hardlink), Bug or feature?
Thanks, that's the post I read which made me try clicking 'Force Rebuild'. I don't know whether the whole hardlink thing applies in my case.
Last edited by void on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
therube

Post by therube »

Just to point out, on my end, Win7, that is a hardlink:

Code: Select all

E:\Windows\winsxs\wow64_microsoft-windows-a..ence-mitigations-c1_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.24351_none_74f7fa1e568dd100\sysmain.sdb
E:\Windows\AppPatch\sysmain.sdb
(I have Windows installed on, E:.)

(In that other thread, Void alludes to the fact that a Forced Refresh should pick it up - but doesn't say so, particularly, so... maybe he wasn't quite sure?)