I can't find anything on some folders

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
abcdefghijk

I can't find anything on some folders

Post by abcdefghijk »

I use everything everyday, it is a wonderfoul program and I really satisfied with it,
but is months that every 2.. 3.. days I need to delete everything .DB file and rebuild it.
What's happens: everything can't search any file in a folder (and I suppose only in this one
"C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\My Dropbox\...") and when I rebuild
.DB file everything works fine again.

I try to perform a scandisk (as I read somewhere in the forum) but no error found.
My problem is in 2 PC, both with WXP upgraded in italian language.

Some ideas???

thank's in advance, Alberto
abcdefghijk

Re: I can't find anything on some folders

Post by abcdefghijk »

..I suppose that the problem is in "C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\" folder, probably "\My Documents\" is not written in the right way, could it be?
void
Developer

Post by void »

What's happens: everything can't search any file in a folder (and I suppose only in this one
"C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\My Dropbox\...") and when I rebuild
.DB file everything works fine again.
Am I correct to say "Everything" is not detecting new changes?

Does "Everything" find the folder:

Code: Select all

"C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\"
?

Are there any errors reported in your errorlog.txt file?
therube

Post by therube »

(Not familiar with "Dropbox", but ...)

Wonder if "My Dropbox" isn't some quasi-virtual folder.
That "files" only exist there at certain times (perhaps till they are sync'd to an Internet location)?

"My Dropbox" folder
hsrstud

Post by hsrstud »

I just ran into this same problem. Never happened to me before. I couldn't search for anything in my Dropbox folder. As you mention, once I rebuilt the database, I was able to do so again.
abcdefghijk

Post by abcdefghijk »

therube wrote: Wonder if "My Dropbox" isn't some quasi-virtual folder.
No Therube, I think that "My Dropbox" is a real folder, folder that is continuously synced between my Pc's.
And I have this problem every.. mmh.. every week or two weeks and actually I can't understand the reason!
Is two days that I rebuilt the database and I have no problem
>: (
void wrote: Am I correct to say "Everything" is not detecting new changes?
Does "Everything" find the folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\"
?
Are there any errors reported in your errorlog.txt file?
No Void, I'm sure: sometimes Everything can't find ANY files in that folder ("C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\" or "C:\Documents and Settings\Alb\My Documents\My Dropbox\").

this is in my errorlog.txt:
  • 30/06/2010 7.55.25: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    02/07/2010 7.46.09: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    04/07/2010 11.20.28: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 0
    04/07/2010 11.20.58: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 0
    04/07/2010 11.26.12: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 0
    07/07/2010 21.19.28: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    08/07/2010 17.27.07: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    11/07/2010 17.54.17: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    12/07/2010 5.57.40: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
    19/07/2010 7.48.22: Everything 1.2.1.451a: .\src\tray.cpp(61): tray::_add_taskbar_icon(): Failed to notify shell icon, GetLastError(): 1460
I write as soon as I'll experience again the problem and I hope to be more accurate with the explanation
Tomorrow? I hope!
abcdefghijk

Post by abcdefghijk »

Here come tomorrow!
today I'm in a different PC (WXP italian) and I have the problem: can't find SOME file in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Alberto.TD\Documenti\"
I link some screenshot regarding "what I search with Everithing" and "what I find"..

http://db.tt/xKsphC

I hope it will be clear..

Alberto
Last edited by abcdefghijk on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abcdefghijk

Post by abcdefghijk »

therube wrote:(Not familiar with "Dropbox", but ...)

Wonder if "My Dropbox" isn't some quasi-virtual folder.
That "files" only exist there at certain times (perhaps till they are sync'd to an Internet location)?

"My Dropbox" folder

Therube, I suppose that you hit the target.. today I download a portable software to zip/unzip files, I extract it to
"c:\programmi\this_software\" but Everything can't find any file into this folder!

I suppose you're right because when I use this software (I zip/rar some files) it will create these zipped files on a virtual(?) folder.

Sorry, I'm not shod with this type of files (virtual or how_are_they_called)
Saturday I will link something more.
abcdefghijk

Post by abcdefghijk »

I don't know what else I can show you.. MUMBLE..
: (
same problem in "C:\Documents and Settings\Alberto.TD\Documenti" folder as I show you with my screenshots.
Today I rebuild .DB file again.

Any ideas are welcome!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does the current alpha version correctly maintain this folder?
abcdefghijk

Post by abcdefghijk »

void wrote:Does the current alpha version correctly maintain this folder?
Is months that I'm using the new version (Version 1.2.1.451a) and day by day I'm checking for a new improved version
: )))
Yes void, if you need to understand something better I can test an older (stable?) version
daspud

Post by daspud »

I am also running to more and more instances of files not found when I know they are there. It ran for a long time with no problems. This seems to be a recent development. I can navigate to them using explorer (but it is SO much easier with Everything).

I am using 451a. I will check the error logs and see if that lends a clue.
therube

Post by therube »

What files are not being seen for you?
Everything will not see (what was it), (hard|symbolic) "links".
bsmagic

Post by bsmagic »

a temporary solution is using subst or "visual subst" (http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilitie ... subst.html) to associate the Dropbox directory with a virtual drive, e.g. Z drive, and then add the drive to the everything search path.

it works for me, wish it be helpful for you.

:idea:
athelas

Post by athelas »

Subst does not work, I get unable to open volume \\.\B: error message.

Dropbox still does not search my Drobox folder which is not hardlinked. When I erase a journal and a new one is created, it works for a while. But then files stored in my Dropbox folder mysteriously dissapear from Everything search results - even though previously they were included. Any help ich much appreciated!
therube

Post by therube »

jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Same here, Everything won't show files in my Dropbox - it does so for a brief time after I delete and recreate the database, but this doesn't last long.

I tried the SUBST trick, doesn't work for me.

So do we have any more information on this?
konkoo7

Post by konkoo7 »

I had not noticed this until today and I did have positive results with Dropbox in the past, when similar issues were marring my MS LiveMesh folders (http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.ph ... pbox#p1006).

In any case, I just wanted to report that also tried a symlink solution using junction (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896768), but no luck :( .

Now tested vsubst, and it appears to be working fine, only leading to duplicate results in the results, but I can live with that :) Hopefully this will last also on reboot.

I use other indexing software - Copernic Desktop search and Locate32 - and the dropbox folder poses no issues there.

Using Version 1.2.1.451a + Win XP SP3.
athelas

Post by athelas »

I have found solution at Dropbox forums... http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=23237

Use Exclude function to actualy Include Dropbox and include your HDD root too, if you want to index everything on your drive, not just dropbox.

Much neater than substs, symlink and other tricks.
konkoo7

Post by konkoo7 »

Thanks, Athelas. Good to know that solution. For the moment I'm sticking with the vsubst solution. It's kind of neat to know my dropbox is a z: volume, always handy. Reboot does not remove the mapping, so I'm happy :) .
athelas

Post by athelas »

It's kind of neat to know my dropbox is a z: volume, always handy.
It sure is, but in my case, dropbox refused to include subst drive into index :| ...

EDIT> of course not dropbox, I meant everything, sorry for confusion
Last edited by athelas on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
konkoo7

Post by konkoo7 »

dropbox refused? Or everything refused? I'm slightly confused ;)

On one of my machines once I mapped the dropbox folder as z: , Everything pickedit up automatically.

On the other, though, I had to go:

Everything > Tools > Options > Volumes > Auto-include new fixed volumes, and ensure z: was there. I think I actually restarted Everything then to allow it to index the new z: drive.

All this on an XP SP3 machine , admin account.

HTH.