Sorting by folder Path is not working as expected

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
bsacheri

Sorting by folder Path is not working as expected

Post by bsacheri »

I expected that sorting by Path would put all matching paths on adjacent rows. In this case I have a folder name that matches the search criteria and a file name that also matches. When I sort by path, I expected both lines to appear together at the top of the list. It appears that it is giving folder names a preference in the sort order.

Is this a bug or is it by design? Is there an option to configuration this behavior?

2020-01-27_8-08-23_Everything_Folder_Sort.png
2020-01-27_8-08-23_Everything_Folder_Sort.png (63.41 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
therube

Re: Sorting by folder Path is not working as expected

Post by therube »

Something doesn't look right.

Guess you've...

sorted by other columns, then returned to Path
verified that there is in fact only 1 "/Downloads" in /users/4547/

I don't think there are any secondary sort options.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Under the hood, Everything uses separate databases for folders and for files.
That will cause all folders to be shown first (from database 1) and then all files (from database 2). Or the other way around, of course :))

Exception: sorting by Run count or Run Date as that information doesn't come from the database, but from your "Run History.csv". All the remaining results (files and folders that are not in this csv file) are again sorted folders first, then files.

@void (the author of Everything) has told us that he is looking into ways to mix the results of the file- and the folder-database. But for now, that's how it is.
To be honest .. somehow I hope he *doesn't* find a way, as that would almost certainly mean a large negative impact on the speed of Everything.
Last edited by NotNull on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

(Silly me. I was fixated on the path & didn't realize that I was looking at 1 directory & 1 file.
I too would not want to see them merged (sorted together), but just because... it isn't right ;-).)