Not saving some NTFS preferences

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
rogeriodec

Not saving some NTFS preferences

Post by rogeriodec »

I have a backup script to an external USB HDD (h:).
When the backup is finished, I can't dismount this drive.
The USB Safely Remove program shows that Everything is blocking this drive:

But I have previously unselected all options for this drive in Options -> Index -> NTFS:

However, Everything is not keeping the "Enable USN Journal" unchecked. After applying the uncheck and opening the preferences again, it is showing checked again:

This way Everything seems to block this drive constantly.
void
Developer

Re: Not saving some NTFS preferences

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

Everything will automatically create the USN Journal if you have Monitor changes enabled.
I see you have this setting disabled.

The USN Journal can also be recreated by other software or Windows itself.

There could be a pending delete on the USN Journal. Restarting your PC should complete the USN Journal deletion.
rogeriodec

Post by rogeriodec »

Just to report that the problem continues to occur ...
therube

Post by therube »

Make sure your backup script is not running.

Ensure that you are working with, looking at, the "correct" Everything.ini (in case you have more then one).
(Might be better searching for:
everything .ini
.)

Make the changes to Everything, deselecting H:.

Quit Everything.

Restart Everything.

Is H: enabled again?
rogeriodec

Post by rogeriodec »

The correct path for everything.ini should be C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini.
There I see:

Code: Select all

ntfs_volume_paths="C:","E:","H:"
However, as you can see in the images above, the "remove" button is greyed out for "H:" (my external HDD).

But, quitting Everything.exe first, then removing manually H: from the line above, it makes no difference, ie, H: keeps appearing there and the "remove" button keeps greyed out.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Windows will automatically recreate the USN Journal on next boot. It's possible another application is recreating it too.

Everything will create the USN Journal if you have checked Include in database and Monitor Changes under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.

Everything should not open any handles to this volume if "Include in database" is unchecked.

Can you please confirm, your H: drive is not listed under Tools -> Options -> ReFS.
Can you please confirm, your H: drive is not listed under Tools -> Options -> Folders.
However, as you can see in the images above, the "remove" button is greyed out for "H:" (my external HDD).
The remove option is disabled/greyed out when the volume is online. Use the Include in database option to exclude this volume.