Incorrect/No NTFS hardlink handling
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:08 pm
- Open Everything
- Create a test file
- Verify Everything picked it up and added it to its index
- Create a hardlink to that file e.g.: mklink /H test.linked.txt test.txt
- --> Everything does not list the linked file
- --> Everything does not update the directory size (it's debatable what's the correct behavior here; personally I'd expect Everything to update the folder size, even tho the hardlink does consume no physical disk space other than NTFS meta data)
- Fully remove the original file, leave the hardlink (which is perfectly valid and the while the NTFS directory entry for the file is removed, the FileNumber is still allocated and the link still valid)
- --> Everything misses that the file was removed, still lists it
- --> Still does not list the hardlink, of course.
- Force Rebuild
- --> Everything now correctly picked up the hardlink (and correctly there is sign of the initial file that go removed).