1.4.1.877 BUG: Shows two icons, how to solve this problem?

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

https://postimg.org/image/nohqfhhhp/
Stamimail

Re: 1.4.1.877 BUG: Shows two icons, how to solve this problem?

Post by Stamimail »

Hi Debugger
Try options in UI like to disable:
Options > UI > Create a new window when running Everything
and try options in
Options > Keyboard
void
Developer

Post by void »

The debug console will show in the taskbar.

Does toggling the debug console help?

To toggle the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

void wrote:To toggle the debug console:
    /debug
I've just open the console and then closed its window, but this action closed all Everything's search windows (icon from tray disappeared too). Does it work as intended?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Cleoss wrote:
void wrote:To toggle the debug console:
    /debug
I've just open the console and then closed its window, but this action closed all Everything's search windows (icon from tray disappeared too). Does it work as intended?
Yes. You can close the debug console while keeping your Everything "alive" by re-entering the /debug command (like @void mentioned: it *toggles* the debug window.
You can also use the <Ctrl> + <`> keyboard shortcut in the Everything window (not the debug console) to switch the debug window on/off.
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:Yes. You can close the debug console while keeping your Everything "alive" by re-entering the /debug command
I meant another thing. I meant that closing the console window (by pressing X button) shouldn't close the main search window(s).

Btw, "/debug" command disappears from the history list, but should it?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Cleoss wrote: I meant another thing. I meant that closing the console window (by pressing X button) shouldn't close the main search window(s).
I did understand that. That behaviour is by design.
Don't know. Here (Win10, Everything 1.4.1.895 (x64) ) it stays in the search history.
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:Don't know. Here (Win10, Everything 1.4.1.895 (x64) ) it stays in the search history.
Yes, it stay in the input field, but after app's reopeing it can't be seen ih the history list.
Portable 1.4.1.877 (x64, elevated), Win 10 Corporate x64 (ver 1703, build 15063.447), DEP is on (but not for the app).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Search commands and cleared when successful.

Alt + down will bring up the last search if you have search history enabled.

I'm experimenting with Everything 1.5 with:
  • My own console UI implementation
    • Handles Unicode correctly.
      Non-blocking input field.
      Easy to copy / selecting / email to support options.
      Could be reused for other logging information, such as ETP/FTP/HTTP servers.
      Doesn't work if Everything crashes (would have to run in a new process - see below)
  • running the console in a new process
    • Escape colors with ANSI color encoding.
      Console can be used as a separate app that supports ANSI color.
      Piping data is very slow, would need an extra thread and a buffer when in debug mode.
      No easy way to know parent process which can be used for debug breaks or terminating Everything.
  • Disabling the close button.
    • Easy to implement.
None seem to be good solutions, so I'll think about this some more..
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Some random thoughts on this:
  • It you open a console, it will use the default codepage of your system (mine is 437).
    There is probably an option to change it to unicode (65001). In CMD, you can do a CHCP 65001
  • The font to display this should also support unicode (I think Lucida does)
  • Programs like ConEmu (https://conemu.github.io/) and Take Command (https://jpsoft.com/) both are able to display a console application in a GUI. They do this by attaching (that is probably the official keyword as they use this both) the console and hiding the original. Tested with ConEmu: it "steals" the Everything debug console and shows it in ConEmu's GUI.
    This is fast. I cannot detect any delay.
    ConEmu also has an option to select text and export it as ANSI/html/txt.
  • Maybe ask this on the Take Command forum. A lot of old-school console adepts there with deep knowledge about ANSI, codepages, console applications, etc. (Everything is integrated in Take Command, btw)
void
Developer

Post by void »

From my testing I've found the console shows most non-ASCII characters as a question mark in a box, I can copy these characters and the correct text is copied to the clipboard, it is just not displayed correctly.

This is only true if I change the font to Consolas or Lucida Console (either in code or manually)
If I don't change the font then most non-ASCII characters show up as ? and they copy as ? too.
I would like to avoid forcing a console font on the user.

ConEmu would have its own console implementation.

I'll continue to support piping the debug output so you can see it in other consoles like ConEmu.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I did some experimenting last night with different codepages, different fonts, different languages for filenames in the Everything console.
Couldn't find a combination where all stars are lined up. I'm missing a dimension or the carpet is just too small to fill the whole room.
I'm going to do some deep diving in the matter (out of curiosity). If something useful turn up, I will post it here.

BTW and FYI: if you change the font or the codepage in the Everything debug console, it will change only there; other console applications are unaffected. But you're right if you do not want to change it: the system-default codepage will probably show the most filenames correctly (ie: for Russian Windows that will be codepage 866 (iirc) and that will show Russian filenames)