Everything corrupted video file after I tried to rename it

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
JTCGiants56

Everything corrupted video file after I tried to rename it

Post by JTCGiants56 »

I tried to rename a video file while in everything. I just tried to put a ":" in the name. I now realize that that's not a valid character for windows files. But what's odd is how everything reacted to me doing this. It moved the movie file from my external drive to the everything install directory. I tried to run the movie from there and my video player said it was corrupted. I then went and checked the properties and it said the Size was 0 bytes, but the size on disk was 2.29gb (the correct size). I moved the file back to its original location, but the file was still corrupt.

Has anyone heard of everything doing this before? Is this intended behavior?
therube

Re: Everything corrupted video file after I tried to rename it

Post by therube »

F2 (Rename) oddity with colon (:) in filename

What version of Everything are you using?
I can't seem to be able to duplicate my earlier issue with current Everything?

From what I can see, currently (.877), when using a LETTER:\ (a letter, followed by a colon, followed by a backslash, like Z:\), Everything will move a file to drive:/path/filename - so long as drive (Z:\) exists.

If drive: does not exist, then no change is effected (AFAICT).
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe sort your files by file size (figuring that a file of 2.9 GB might be somewhat out of the ordinary) & see if something (meaningful) doesn't turn up somewhere, with some filename, maybe with or without extension?

Disable all "filtering" in Everything, to make sure you don't miss anything.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

I'm on .877 as well. I can only find a file with this file size in the everything directory.

I just did another little test and named a file test.txt on my desktop. I then went into everything and tried to name it "test:.txt". It gave me the attached message. Hitting yes creates a empty folder named "test" in the everything install dir. It does leave the "test.txt" alone and intact on my desktop though.

Seems when adding a colon to a name it tries to add something to the everything install dir every time. But it's not consistant what it adds there.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.8 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've added ':' to the list of invalid filename characters in Everything 888.

I have on my TODO list to show a balloon notification when the user types an invalid filename character.
For now, Everything will simply ignore invalid filename characters.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote:I've added ':' to the list of invalid filename characters in Everything 888.

I have on my TODO list to show a balloon notification when the user types an invalid filename character.
For now, Everything will simply ignore invalid filename characters.
Sounds goods. Thanks for your work on everything.