Crash after start (_db_corrupt_proc)

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
roBsonn

Crash after start (_db_corrupt_proc)

Post by roBsonn »

I am tidying up a large partition, moving a lot of things around. Everything was open for an hour without a problem, then it crashed - and it now crashes every time soon after I try to start it again. Here's my debug log. There are some suspicious lines at the end:
  • 2017-09-25 14:31:00.126: CORRUPT
    2017-09-25 14:31:00.126: DB_WAIT: _db_corrupt_proc waiting...
edit:
I've just now noticed my RAM usage was full due to problem in this topic. It might be that fixing the linked problem will automatically resolve this one as well.

edit 2:
I take it back. After rebooting I still can't start Everything. I'll try deleting database files.

edit 3:
After deleting database files Everything didn't crash, a full reindex occured. Now - how to avoid this situation?
void
Developer

Re: Crash after start (_db_corrupt_proc)

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug log.

The Everything Database is corrupt.

Everything has some detection for corrupt database, such as duplicated entries (duplicated filenames is ok) or entries that are unsorted.
If corruption is detected, Everything will log the error to the debug console/log and attempt to rebuild the database.
if memory corrupt has occured, a crash will most likely result when the old database is freed.

I've changed Everything for the next release so that it deletes the Everything.db and exits with a fatal error message.

For now, deleting the Everything.db while Everything is not running should fix the issue.
roBsonn

Post by roBsonn »

I've just now noticed that this crash, after it happens, sometimes does not generate the CORRUPT line in the log. For example, right now Everything crashes 2 seconds after starting and this log is generated.

Is it the same issue? Does the fix still apply?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug log.

The crash is occurring after renaming the folder LINQPad5-AnyCPU to LINQPad.
This is most likely caused by a corrupt database on disk or in memory, or both.

Please try deleting your Everything.db.
Please try excluding your recycle bin from the Everything database under Tools -> Options -> Exclude.
void
Developer

Post by void »

roBsonn

Post by roBsonn »

I just now downloaded and updated my copy. Will let you know after a few days of testing.
roBsonn

Post by roBsonn »

I created a similar ticket, seems to be the same issue. From now on I shall continue reporting on this problem in this thread.