Bug in version 1.2.1.451a

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Mephis

Bug in version 1.2.1.451a

Post by Mephis »

Howdy all,

If you disable [ ] Allow multiple windows, this setting is ignored.
This bug has been introduced with version 1.2.1.446a - works correctly with 1.2.1.436a.

For me a showstopper, back to 1.2.1.436a.
Confirmations?
void
Developer

Re: Bug in version 1.2.1.451a

Post by void »

Allow multiple windows has been changed in 451a.

With 451a you can always create a new window with File -> New Search Window, or from the tray icon by right clicking -> New Search Window, even when Allow multiple window is disabled.

Disabling allow multiple windows will only stop a new window being created when you run another Everything.exe.

If you disabled allow multiple windows in previous version, clicking File -> New Search Window and right clicking the tray icon -> New Search Window did nothing.
Is this your preferred behavour?

There is a new option to toggle the window by double clicking the tray icon.
Mephis

Post by Mephis »

void wrote:Allow multiple windows has been changed in 451a.
:(
void wrote: If you disabled allow multiple windows in previous version, clicking File -> New Search Window and right clicking the tray icon -> New Search Window did nothing.
Is this your preferred behavour?
YES! :)
I open my Everything exclusively with my defined hotkey, and close (toggle) the search window with ESC.
Now, if I press the hotkey, always opens another new window, so I have tons of open windows in the background.

Sometimes I have other windows open, which overlap the Everything window. If I press my defined hot key, the focus goes to Everything. This is exactly the behavior that I need. This works only if I disable the 'Allow multiple windows' option (in v.1.2.1.436a)

It would be great if the old behavior, at least as an option, would be integrated again. :|

void wrote:There is a new option to toggle the window by double clicking the tray icon.
Not an option for me, still using 1.2.1.436a :geek:
void
Developer

Post by void »

There are two hotkey options in 451a, one to open a new window, and one to toggle the search window.

Please try setting a toggle search window hotkey instead.
Mephis

Post by Mephis »

void wrote:Please try setting a toggle search window hotkey instead.
OK this works. :)
When opening a new search window via the toggle function, there is a slight delay when displaying the window, or I am wrong. :?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The "Everything" window should display instantly..
What is your default sort order?
Is the initial search empty?
Have you enabled unload database when inactive?
Or changed any settings from their defaults?
Mephis

Post by Mephis »

void wrote:What is your default sort order?
Name
void wrote:Is the initial search empty?
Yes
void wrote:Have you enabled unload database when inactive?
Yes

I found the delay. After you change the hotkey, it takes a few seconds until Everything accepts the changes, hence the delay. :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I found the delay. After you change the hotkey, it takes a few seconds until Everything accepts the changes, hence the delay. :)
Where is the delay, when you press apply, or pressing the key takes a while to show in the hotkey edit?
What hotkey are you using?
I would recommend disabling unload database when inactive.
Unload database when inactive will cause "Everything" to save the database to disk when you close the search window.
The next time you create a new search window "Everything" must reload the database which can take a couple seconds.
Mephis

Post by Mephis »

void wrote:Where is the delay, when you press apply, or pressing the key takes a while to show in the hotkey edit?
I change the keyboard shortcut, press 'Apply', and now if I press the hotkey, there was a slight delay, but this is gone now.
void wrote:What hotkey are you using?
CTRL+ Numpad 3
void wrote:
I would recommend disabling unload database when inactive.
Unload database when inactive will cause "Everything" to save the database to disk when you close the search window.
The next time you create a new search window "Everything" must reload the database which can take a couple seconds.
Yes!! Finally, this setting rocks ;) thanks :)