Everything does not open applications with admin permissions

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Instantali3n

Everything does not open applications with admin permissions

Post by Instantali3n »

At least that's my best guess. Here's what's happening.

I search a name of a video, then double click to launch the video in the associated player (MPC-BE). This works for most people, but I am running SVP4 (Smooth Video Project), which apparently requires administrator privileges on the video player. So instead of it working normally, I get a message that says: "Access to the video player is denied, is it running with administrator privileges?"

Navigating to and launching the video normally does not induce this message, and never has.

This was my first time actually USING everything. I'd found it a few weeks ago and not used it yet. I must say, it IS faster to use it than use explorer. I think I will be keeping it around. :mrgreen:

Windows 8.1 x64. Everything 1.4.0.713b x64. Latest Windows updates installed minus 33 telemetry/GWX updates. No antivirus whatsoever or anything else that could mess with permissions or block it. No system file or store corruption, etc, etc. It's all good on my end.
UAC is disabled. Everything is set to run as admin and has been given full privileges across the board. User account is an administrator. Restarted program after permission changes, no difference.

- Off topic, but I feel it should be said. Your subject line is limited to too few characters. Nobody likes character limits. I understand the intent, but in practice it's just an annoyance or hindrance for setting a proper subject. THings can get very complicated with software and sometimes you just need a looong subject to make sense.

Thanks. Hope that's everything and then some.
therube

Re: Everything does not open applications with admin permiss

Post by therube »

SmoothVideo Project (SVP)

Any difference if you run Everything "As Administrator"?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Sorry for off topic but running a player which requires Admin rights for normal playing is more than strange.
Stop using software from authors who doesn't understand security at all.

To the topic, a program with normal rights can't control programs running with enhanced rights.
And there is no real need for such conversation running normal programs.
Instantali3n

Post by Instantali3n »

horst.epp wrote:Sorry for off topic but running a player which requires Admin rights for normal playing is more than strange.
Stop using software from authors who doesn't understand security at all.

To the topic, a program with normal rights can't control programs running with enhanced rights.
And there is no real need for such conversation running normal programs.
These permissions are required for SVP, Avisynth, madVR and MPC-BE use. I suggest you look more into them before saying it's unnecessary. They go much deeper than a "normal player" does. There's no danger whatsoever by granting these trustworthy programs full permissions. They've been around for years and are actively devoloped with the community. Were any security issues to arise they would be pointed out and fixed immediately.
Last edited by Instantali3n on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Instantali3n

Post by Instantali3n »

therube wrote:SmoothVideo Project (SVP)

Any difference if you run Everything "As Administrator"?
Check original post:
Everything is set to run as admin
void
Developer

Post by void »

What happens if you:
  • Select a video in Everything and hit Ctrl + Shift + C (to copy the filename to the clipboard)
  • From the Start menu, click Run...
  • Paste the filename into the run dialog and hit OK.
  • Does SVP4 launch correctly?
...I'm wondering if it's an issue with Everything or something wrong with the shell executing the file.
Instantali3n

Post by Instantali3n »

That's interesting! This is most likely the cause of the issue, but hang on, it's not as you think! SVP4 DOESN'T work when running as admin. I didn't run it as admin or even try to before. I just now started it as admin and it gave me the same message. Which I MISREAD because I was expecting the opposite, and it disappears quickly! It actually says:
Error Communicating with player. Maybe SVP4 is running with administrator privileges?
But when I open SVP normally, (it runs on startup) - I never do so as admin.
So perhaps Everything is running all things as admin which is causing the issue?
What happens if you:
Select a video in Everything and hit Ctrl + Shift + C (to copy the filename to the clipboard)
From the Start menu, click Run...
Paste the filename into the run dialog and hit OK.
Does SVP4 launch correctly?

...I'm wondering if it's an issue with Everything or something wrong with the shell executing the file.
When I do this, I get the same error. BTW it doesn't work when I hit Ctrl + Shift + C with it already selected, or before selecting it. I have to right click and hit copy.
therube

Post by therube »

perhaps Everything is running all things as admin
Well, how do you have Everything running?
If using "Run as..." (Administrator), then yes.
If you're using the Everything Service, then no.
Instantali3n

Post by Instantali3n »

therube wrote:
perhaps Everything is running all things as admin
Well, how do you have Everything running?
If using "Run as..." (Administrator), then yes.
If you're using the Everything Service, then no.
I tried both ways before, but I just now tried them again and DIDN'T get the error either way.

So:
SVP4, MPC-BE and Everything are all NOT running as admin and working. (Why? What has changed???)

Assume all others are NOT running as admin and I am opening videos with Everything for these combinations.
If I:
Run Everything as admin: No error
Run Everything NOT as admin: No error
Run MPC-BE as admin: No error
Run MPC-BE NOT as admin: No error
Run SVP4 as admin: ERROR
Run SVP4 NOT as admin: No error

I'm sorry, a critical variable causing this issue must have changed in my system, but I cannot determine WHAT it is, nor reproduce the original issue with everything anymore!
Perhaps it has something do to with the permissions used when Everything or SVP4 are run at startup. I will test that and report back soon with the results.
WAIT! I'm wrong, there are actually TWO separate similar errors triggered under different circumstances!

I just tried every combination of running one, two, or three of these programs as admin, and not as admin, and launching with and without Everything.

How MPC-BE runs does not change the equation. So we can eliminate that variable.

When SVP4 is run NOT AS ADMIN and launched with Everything I get THIS error message:
Access to the video player is denied, is it running with Administrator privileges?
Running SVP4 AS ADMIN and launching with Everything does not make an error!

BUT, if I launch the video manually while SVP4 is running AS ADMIN I get this error:
Error communicating with video player, maybe SVP is running with administrator privileges?
:o

Wow, that was confusing! Sorry for the premature post and edits. It's clarified now.

I've crossposted this thread in the SVP forums here so it can be worked out easier: http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic ... 654#p55654
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is it possible to set SVP4 to run as administrator?
  • Right click the SVP4 exe
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Check Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Does this fix the problem?
Instantali3n

Post by Instantali3n »

void wrote:Is it possible to set SVP4 to run as administrator?
  • Right click the SVP4 exe
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Check Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Does this fix the problem?
There is no difference doing that VS just right click > run as admin that I can tell. The above post tells what running as admin or not does for which programs.
If you think it would be easier to communicate, I can make a .webm (better than .gifv) of the errors being triggered so you can SEE the problem, as just explaining it is really complicated and confusing.