708b

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Stamimail

708b

Post by Stamimail »

1. Preview
Moving the dividing line in the middle needs to be improved. Sometimes this line is displayed too many times while moving.
Tested again with TXT file above 1 MB, when there is another scroll bar. The same problem.
2. History > Always show search suggestions
Still the same problem. Suggetions cover the Results, and you cannot move from Search to Results By DownArrow.
http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4688
3. Consider to replace the Triangle with a classic History Icon.
4. History list isn't in the correct order. The recent search should be at top.
5. Advanced Search...
Should be an option to add it as a button (similar to Filter).
6. Consider not to use ComboBox with Filters, so that we can choose several filters. Currently it let us choose only one Filter from the list. [BTW, After selecting a Filter, the focus should have been moved automatically to Results, So that scrolling scrolls the Results and not the Filters]
7. Details View when selecting one item
It would be better that the Status Bar text will be like in Everything 1.3, and display the details in a ToolTip instead of the Status Bar.
void
Developer

Re: 708b

Post by void »

Tested again with TXT file above 1 MB, when there is another scroll bar. The same problem.
Please try Everything 709b.
This version will force the entire UI to redraw each time you move the slider.
I might change this to an ini option in a future beta update as it will effect the performance of Everything.
2. History > Always show search suggestions
I'll review this.
There is an ini option search_history_show_above to show the suggestions above the search edit.
3. Consider to replace the Triangle with a classic History Icon.
4. History list isn't in the correct order. The recent search should be at top.
Please use the Search History Organizer from View -> Goto -> Show All History.
You can sort the list by date.
The search history from the search edit will show the most frequent searches first, I'll consider an ini option to list them by date instead.
5. Advanced Search...
Should be an option to add it as a button (similar to Filter).
Full toolbar customization may happen in Everything 1.5, for now you can set a keyboard shortcut from Tools -> Options -> Keyboard or access the advanced search from the Search menu.
6. Consider not to use ComboBox with Filters, so that we can choose several filters. Currently it let us choose only one Filter from the list. [BTW, After selecting a Filter, the focus should have been moved automatically to Results, So that scrolling scrolls the Results and not the Filters]
This is on my TODO list, for now use macros, eg:

Code: Select all

exe:|zip:
7. Details View when selecting one item
It would be better that the Status Bar text will be like in Everything 1.3, and display the details in a ToolTip instead of the Status Bar.
In Everything 709b, change:

show_detailed_listview_tooltips=0
to:

show_detailed_listview_tooltips=1
Disable Show selected item in status bar from Tools -> Options -> View.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

1. Now in 709 it's better.
2. search_history_show_above is not a good solution, especially when maximized.
3.4. >The search history from the search edit will show the most frequent searches first, I'll consider an ini option to list them by date instead.
Ha? It's really weird. It means it is not Search History, it belongs to Run History/Count. It will require 2 triangles/icons... Anyway, I think the default should be search history (=The recent search should be at top).
5. It looked to me simple, to add simple TextButton for opening Advanced Search Dialog. Maybe 3 dots button [...]
6. Now that I think about it again, I think the ComboBox is a good solution. Just fix please the focus problem. Is it at all can be fixed?
From my experience, the vast majority of cases, I choose only one filter, So Radio buttons here are better.
My suggestion should go to Advanced Search. There should be Checkboxes for choosing several Filters.
Is there filters: somewhere in Help > Search Syntax?
7. Now it's much better. Only that the tooltips should behave like in Explorer. It shouldn't be displayed after you selecting the items.
void
Developer

Post by void »

2. search_history_show_above is not a good solution, especially when maximized.
If you have any suggestions to improve this, please let me know.
3.4. >The search history from the search edit will show the most frequent searches first, I'll consider an ini option to list them by date instead.
Ha? It's really weird. It means it is not Search History, it belongs to Run History/Count. It will require 2 triangles/icons... Anyway, I think the default should be search history (=The recent search should be at top).
I think what you want is navigation history (eg: a back and forward button, and a dropdown button to show all recent searches).
I hope to add navigation history in Everything 1.5 (back and forward toolbar buttons with dropdown (or right click) navigation history).

For now, Use Alt + Left arrow and Alt + Right arrow to cycle through the navigation history.
This navigation history can also be accessed through View -> Goto.
6. Now that I think about it again, I think the ComboBox is a good solution. Just fix please the focus problem.
Added to my TODO list.
Focusing the result list should only occur when the user selects a filter with the mouse. I'm not sure if this will be possible to detect.
My suggestion should go to Advanced Search. There should be Checkboxes for choosing several Filters.
I'll consider adding an option to the advanced search to select multiple filters and an option to AND or OR the filters together.
Only that the tooltips should behave like in Explorer. It shouldn't be displayed after you selecting the items.
The tooltip should display when you hover over an item, the item does not have to be selected.
If the tooltip is only displayed when you select the item, please let me know.

I am considering making the show_detailed_listview_tooltips option enabled by default (same as Explorer).

Thanks for your support.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

2. http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 688#p13597
3.4. I think I understand now the misunderstanding.
There is a Search History and There is Search Suggestions. It's two different things.
While typing in Search Edit, we want what you meant (Search Suggestions), "will show the most frequent searches first".
While clicking on the triangle (dropdown button), we want what I meant (Search History), "The recent search should be at top".
I don't know why you calling this "navigation history". I never used GoTo.
I tested it now, and I can see this navigation history is cleared when the opend window close.
Well, navigation history for one window isn't so useful for me as the navigation history for all app. I realy needed it.
In fact, I've thought this feature is alreday implemented, by "Enable Search History". It sounds like that, and I expected it to work as I described above.
>Everything 1.5 (back and forward toolbar buttons with dropdown...
Can't tell you. I think the way I expected it to work, would satisfy me.
6. Shouldn't be "filters:" somewhere in Help > Search Syntax?
7. Again, display the tooltip by hovering - yes, but "It shouldn't be displayed [any more] after you selecting the items."
Please, pay attention to the difference between the way it works in Explorer and Everything.
gdv

Post by gdv »

Stamimail wrote:While typing in Search Edit, we want what you meant (Search Suggestions), "will show the most frequent searches first".
While clicking on the triangle (dropdown button), we want what I meant (Search History), "The recent search should be at top".
@Stamimail: I, too, have wanted this for a long time. In case you haven't yet discovered it, this now appears to be available as of v1.4.0.713b.

Specifically, both Search Suggestions and the drop-down Search History (via clicking on the triangle dropdown button) can now be sorted alphabetically or recent-first (instead of the default sort by search count) by manually editing the default value for the "search_history_sort_results=1" line (new in v1.4.0.713b) in Everything.ini as follows:

search_history_sort_results=0 (alphabetical)
search_history_sort_results=1 (search count) (default)
search_history_sort_results=2 (recent first)

AFAICT, this doesn't yet seem to be documented anywhere (even in the changelog), but I'm really glad to see it. (Thanks, David!!! :D )

(It would be nice to have the setting represented on the Options GUI so it could be changed on the fly. I guess it would go on the Options > History tab below "Always show search suggestions.")
gdv

Post by gdv »

void wrote:I think what you want is navigation history (eg: a back and forward button, and a dropdown button to show all recent searches).
I hope to add navigation history in Everything 1.5 (back and forward toolbar buttons with dropdown (or right click) navigation history).

For now, Use Alt + Left arrow and Alt + Right arrow to cycle through the navigation history.
Oh, NICE!!! I hadn't known (or had forgotten?) about the Alt+LeftArrow/Alt+RightArrow to cycle through navigation history for the current Everything window, and was "stuck" with using Ctrl+Z to toggle between only the last 2 searches in the current window.

This opens up the full Back/Forward history for the current window. :)

Actual Back and Forward buttons would be nice, but not a priority (IMO), as Alt+LeftArrow/Alt+RightArrow is more than adequate for now.