Exclude hidden & system files options not working

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
RicaNeaga

Exclude hidden & system files options not working

Post by RicaNeaga »

Hello! My first post here, want to thank for a worderfull app, that made my life alot easier. :)

Just as the title suggests, if I want to skip from the search results the hidden & system protected files, the two options (from Indexes / Exclude) that are supposed to do this aren't working. :(

Hope you'll fix this soon.
vsub

Re: Exclude hidden & system files options not working

Post by vsub »

Both options exclude the hidden files\folder and system files\folders are to not add those files in the database not from the current search.

If you enable both options,your database(total files and folders)will decrease by a lot

As far as I know,there is no option\filter to exclude hidden files\folder and system files\folders while you are doing a search and at the same time if you don't add such filter,to show hidden files\folder and system files\folders in the result.

There is a filter that check the file\folder attribute but that don't help much if you want to exclude hidden files\folder and system files\folders
nagan

Post by nagan »

Just as the title suggests, if I want to skip from the search results the hidden & system protected files, the two options (from Indexes / Exclude) that are supposed to do this aren't working. :(

Hope you'll fix this soon.
IMHO they work. After ticking the relevant boxes , you need to press Apply / OK for it to take shape. You can see the difference in the number of files before and after...
RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga »

I didn't thought it was necessary to mention, but ''shrinking'' the number of the files mentioned at the bottom of the screens wasn't the issue, that's just a deceiving number.

If you search for example for ''dll'' you'll see hundreds of results in the search windows, and they're almost all from C:\Windows location, ALTHOUGH those files are supposed to be skipped from search.

Thanks for you opinions and trying to help, but this is just a bug - the app just cannot skip searching in the protected windows files, unfortunately. That is for now, hope it will be solved soon. :)
therube

Post by therube »

> want to skip from the search results the hidden & system files

Appears to be working (or at least doing something) here.
File count drops from 117,453 to 113,664.

I have the two exclusions enabled.
Nothing in the Folders: list, nor in Include/Exclude Files:.

> there is no option\filter to exclude hidden files\folder and system files\folders while
> you are doing a search and at the same time if you don't add such filter

Code: Select all

C:  ATTRIB:H   DIRSIZ
-> returns:  DIRSIZ26.ZIP   (which DOES have the H attrib set)

C:  !ATTRIB:H   DIRSIZ   (with the 'NOT' filter in there)
-> returns:  DIRSIZ20.ZIP & DIRSIZ28.ZIP

> If you search for example for ''dll'' you'll see hundreds of results in the search
> windows, and they're almost all from C:\Windows location

Correct. 9,518 objects in my case.

> ALTHOUGH those files are supposed to be skipped from search.

You're misinterpreting what is to happen.

What it is doing is excluding files (or dirs) with the Hidden, & or System attribute set.
It is not excluding "System Files", taken to mean, perhaps C:/Windows/ or "C:/Program Files".
It is dealing with Attributes.

> If you search for example for ''dll'' you'll see hundreds of results

And if you display the Attributes column (right-click the a column header, select, Attributes, from the dropdown), you will see that none of those hundreds of dll's have the H or S attribute.