Drives being woken from sleep on closing everything windows.

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Dorf

Drives being woken from sleep on closing everything windows.

Post by Dorf »

I'm using win8x64 and Everything-1.3.3.658b.x64. I have a ssd boot drive, main drive, and 2 archived data drives. The last 2 arent accessed much and spend much of the time in sleep mode.

When clicking the close window button, everything freezes, waking up the last 2 drives, then actually closes when they are spinned up.
galneon

Re: Drives being woken from sleep on closing everything wind

Post by galneon »

This isn't exactly the fix you're looking for, but I would consider disabling sleep mode for idle drives as the spin-up/spin-down and cool-to-hot-and-cool-again cycles likely cause more wear and tear than keeping them running--unless you're more concerned about noise and/or heat than longevity.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Are any of the following files saved to the drive that is sleeping?
  • Search History.csv
  • Everything.ini
  • Run History.csv
Dorf

Post by Dorf »

Nope.

I did disable sleep in windows, but one of those drives is a green WD one, i think those go to sleep on their own anyway?
therube

Post by therube »

ssd boot drive, main drive, and 2 archived data drives. The last 2 arent accessed much and spend much of the time in sleep mode.

When clicking the close window button, everything freezes, waking up the last 2 drives, then actually closes when they are spinned up.
On my XP system I have 3 HDD & the opposite situation, where Everything (or other apps, most prevalently DOS apps) awaken sleeping drives, even when not specifically accessed.

I do not have the situation where closing Everything causes sleeping drives to awaken.

Though I do seem to recall situations (but I don't recall the details!) where, maybe it was shutting down the system entirely?, caused sleeping drives to awaken first before the computer shut down. Whatever the situation was, I found it very odd.
therube

Post by therube »

I would consider disabling sleep mode for idle drives as the spin-up/spin-down and cool-to-hot-and-cool-again cycles likely cause more wear and tear than keeping them running
Agree wholeheartedly.

Just the other day, moved two drives over from an old computer to my current Win7 system.
And now every (whatever the default is) minutes, the drives go to sleep, only to be awaken shortly thereafter (by some action on my end).

Not having changed any settings (yet) that is now a common occurrence.
On my old system that never happened because I disabled the spindown.