Service start error

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
nagan

Service start error

Post by nagan »

653b x 64
With my previous experience , I had already excluded Everything folder (program files) from Online Armor interference.

When I attempt to start the service , it takes too long and I get the title bar "Not responding " message. Eventually I had to close it down.
Then I start 649b and attempt to start service , I get the 1072 error immediately without further issues. I close and get back to 653b , and attempt to start service , same issue , have to close Everything finally and restart it. I presume it is unable to handle the 1072 state.
void
Developer

Re: Service start error

Post by void »

653 will attempt to create the service once a second for 30 seconds.

After that you will get the 1072 error.

This delay was added because uninstalling the service can take a few seconds.
nagan

Post by nagan »

As I attempted now , the service box was colored indeterminate. I ticked and pressed apply. Waited for more than a minute , there is no start of the service and also the rotating donut does not seem to stop. If I attempt to cancel , I get a formal response from explorer of the program not responding , close? I have to restart Everything again. I attempted this time with OA closed completely. At the same time 649b immediately puts up the 1072 message and resumes business. I thought that was fine...
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything does continuous try to start the service... this is a bug.

I have changed this to be the same as before in 649b for the next update.
nagan

Post by nagan »

A small request. Please make the updates faster. Since the file size is very small and installation is very fast no one is going to mind.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will release updates as fast as I humanly can.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Never meant to annoy anyone. A great application with an equally adept and accomodative developer only makes up for the enthusiasm and should be read only that way!
nagan

Post by nagan »

656b x 86.
In the change log it has been mentioned that the service start has been fixed. But I am unable to start the service in Win XP SP 3. Also on ticking the check box and pressing "Ok" the option window stays put. This was just for information..
void
Developer

Post by void »

Was there any error message after pressing OK to install the service?
nagan

Post by nagan »

656b
x86
In XP I had left the start service enabled. After a restart now , surprisingly the service is on and the process explorer PE confirms it.
I close the service from Everything(ET) , and PE confirms it.
I try to start the service , apply and Ok , the option box does not go away , no message and the PE confirms that no service has started.
I close 656b and start 649b and enable service which starts immediately.

x64
Getting the ubiquitous 1072 error.In fact I ran some windows updates and restarted it today. The same with 649b which I ran after closing 656b. But 649b is still faster in displaying the message (earlier though usually after a fresh start I did not have much problem with 649b regarding starting service).
therube

Post by therube »

> I am unable to start the service in Win XP SP 3

WFM.
I do it from the command line.

Exit Everything, first
Then everything.exe -uninstall-service
Then copy the newest everything.exe version over
Then everything.exe -install-service

(I'll do likewise on Win7 x64 if I get time.)
nagan

Post by nagan »

WFM.
I do it from the command line.
Could you please check it from the UI.
therube

Post by therube »

Wonder (have long wondered actually) if when updating, it is required to kill the service first (uncheck & quit), then install (or unzip) the new, then restart the service?

That is what I have always done, figuring the service end could be different between versions & would not want x.version service & y.version everything.exe.

(I've never used the installer variety.)

OK, that was answered easy enough.

You cannot overwrite everything.exe while the service is still running.
So I would have to uncheck the Service box first (or uninstall from command-line).
(Don't know if the installer would handle that automatically?)
therube

Post by therube »

XP, gave me 1072.

Now let me see if I can get the steps correct...?

Reverted from 656 back to 653 without incident.

Code: Select all

-initially tried to simply overwrite while service was still running, but that failed (expected)
-unchecked Service
-Quit

-overwrote 656 with 653
-started (results were returned, not sure if they were real or from .db, did not try any operations)
-enabled Service
-Quit

-restarted 653
-Quit

-initially tried to simply overwrite (653 with 656) while service was still running, but that failed (expected)
-unchecked Service
-Quit

-overwrote 653 with 656
-started (results were returned, not sure if they were real or from .db, did not try any operations)

-attempted to start Service
*ERROR 1072
I think that was it.
1072 was unexpected, I must say.

The Service checkbox is checked, though it is in fact not running.

Dismissed the 1072 dialog, then hit Apply, & at that point the Service did register.
(Not sure when it failed, if I used OK or Apply, but that should be immaterial.)

Pretty sure that in each case (except for 1072) the service was created/killed as expected.
(I have Process Hacker open & that pops up a balloon when a service is created/killed).
therube

Post by therube »

There is like a double OK going on.
Thinking something like Service state may be ... not sure ...

In any case, I can get 1072's just by enable/disable/enable Service.

(Starting with) On
disable (Service Off)
OK

(Turn) On
OK (Service On, dialog persists)
OK
-at that point, 1072, & Service has been deleted

(at this point Service is now Off)
- dialog still persists, Service is checkmarked, though Off
OK (Service On, dialog persists)
- now instead of OK again (which will generate a 1072), hit the Close box (the 'X', or the Cancel button) on the dialog

*with that, the Service is On, no error message generated
void
Developer

Post by void »

656b x 86.
In the change log it has been mentioned that the service start has been fixed. But I am unable to start the service in Win XP SP 3. Also on ticking the check box and pressing "Ok" the option window stays put. This was just for information..
I have fixed this issue for the next beta update.
Installing or uninstall the service is not instant and Everything was getting the wrong state when clicking apply.
Wonder (have long wondered actually) if when updating, it is required to kill the service first (uncheck & quit), then install (or unzip) the new, then restart the service?
It is not required to kill the service when using the installer, the installer will close Everything, then stop the service and uninstall it for you.

If you use the portable version you will need to manually uninstall the service to overwrite the old Everything.exe.
If you place the portable version in it's own unique folder, installing the Everything service in the new Everything.exe will overwrite any existing Everything service.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have added the retry counter back in 657b, since Installing the service when an old one already existed was causing the 1072 error. The 1072 error in this case is caused by attempting to uninstall the service and reinstall the new service immediately, unfortunately, uninstalling the old service is not instant, so the new service would fail to install.

Everything will attempt to install the service every second for 30 seconds.
Usually the service will take a second to uninstall and in some cases a little longer if Everything is still using the service.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Works fine in XP x 86. A very minor minor observation (which may not be valid probably) , which you may check at your own time.

Starting the server I press APPLY (bold tick)and leave the Option screen as it is. I terminate server via PE. I come back to the option screen , still see the bold tick in the server and "APPLY" is greyed. I tick OFF the server, the choice "APPLY" becomes bold which I DO NOT click. Again I tick ON the server and now press "APPLY" which does not start the server. If I press APPLY when server is OFF and then tick it ON and then APPLY server is started.Perhaps "APPLY" or "OK" has to check the present state everytime it is available for clicking?
As I said earlier this may not be very credible and just an observation to evaluate on its merit.

EDIT
Works fine in x64.Getting the 1072 error after a gap of 30 seconds as you have already mentioned. Will see if there is any improvement after a restart.