"My" Documents

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
nagan

"My" Documents

Post by nagan »

I am not sure if this has been dealt before. Everything lists "My Documents"as a non-permissible link. It lists it as "Documents" sans "My" but clicking it opens up in the explorer as "My documents"only. The same holds for all My prefixes of video, music , picture etc. A case of hardlinks? My documents is a very popular search item to fall prey to this..
void
Developer

Re: "My" Documents

Post by void »

Yes, My Documents is a hard link to c:\users\<user>\Documents.

However, it is owned by the system. Any access to this folder will be denied.

I will consider redirecting My Documents to Documents.
For now you will have to search for just Documents.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Just to add that Everything lists this folder "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\WPD" in the results , but would not open , the comment being the folder does not exist. But open path works.
wpd1 2013-04-28_060936.gif
wpd1 2013-04-28_060936.gif (43.32 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
2.The files in the folder if searched for example "Sqmupload**" , do not yield any results .
wpd2 2013-04-28_061041.gif
wpd2 2013-04-28_061041.gif (9.2 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
If this belonged to the dreaded hardlinks clone , let me wait for an improvement :) . Otherwise this is the first time Everything is not returning a expected result in a search..

EDIT No ,in fact point 2 is working. Inadvertently I had the "whole word " modifier was on. That was missed. However point 1 remains.
therube

Post by therube »

Everything lists this folder "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\WPD" in the results , but would not open
That is going to be a permissions issue.
In order to open that directory, it needs Administrative level permissions.

Note that you cannot easily run Explorer.exe with Admin level permissions.
How do I run the Windows 7 Explorer shell with Administrator Privileges by default?

Using an alternative file manager, Run As Administrator, should work easily.
nagan

Post by nagan »

@therube , the method of killing explorer and restarting with default administrative privileges did not help. However even if it did not open up directly from Everything because of the permission issue , the open path still leads to the folder. So not much of an issue ......
void
Developer

Post by void »

I think there is some different parsing done with the Tasks folder.

Everything fails to create an IDLIST with the path not found error.
Even requesting the shell to execute this item fails, strange since it works from Start -> Run
nagan

Post by nagan »

The problem with "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\WPD" seems to have been solved with 653b x64.
It opens up now!

But the possibility of redirecting My documents to documents rather than report a dead link still remains.